Movin' out. Advice?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Forau, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Moving out in 5 weeks. Getting a place with my mates girlfriend and one of my best mates.

Its a 3 bedroom place for £900 p/m. Decided on £330, £300, £270 as rent prices depending on size room we have. I earn the most, so probs going to take the biggest room :D.

What i was wondering about is bills and stuff? Anyone here managed to find a way to do it fairly?

Cos im gonna be running a full cisco lab set up as im doing my ccna, im gonna be using a lot of electricity, and it aint fair to expect everyone to get lumped with my bill and stuff.

Any way we can like monitor how much electricity goes into each room? So everyone pays for their own rooms electricity, then split kitchen/living room/water/gas etc evenly?

How do people make it fair? Or do they just split EVERYTHING? I wouldnt mind splitting everything, but i dont like the idea of me being a little short on cash, cos if it was just me paying my own bill, id turn shit off and live in the dark for a few weeks, lol.

So yeah, any advice on this? And anything else i might wanna know when it comes to moving out?

(made sure its semi detached and the room i chose is on the detached side so i can still blast music lol)

2. DJ NUERA

DJ NUERA 5HEAD

Nice bro, congrats.
    I move out on Saturday with a mate which im really excited about, got a 2 bedroom maisonette for 595 a month and we're splitting everything down the middle, probably looking at around 450 a month each with council tax, water, electric, food, etc. Its just more fair that way. We've just had a water meter fitted which has pretty much halved the water bill each month, might be worth looking into.
    Just make sure you have enough money and buy everything as cheap as possible and in bulk if you can (y)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

ello ello ello whats goin on ere then?

4. DJ NUERA

DJ NUERA 5HEAD

Ahh why did I give serious advice.

5. spiderfran286

spiderfran286 "Yes, squid pro roe..."

me n my house mate just split everything straight down the middle...gets far to annoying and confusing trying to work out who owes what and that....plus its only money at the end of the day...if they are close mates its not good to be falling out over silly money issues...i wouldnt even recommend paying different rent prices per room, id just split it 3 way...fair is fair...ur all using the house and you will find ur all chilling in each others rooms n that anyway...

6. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Yes, yes, yes and yes again. Dedbult the day you start counting grains of rice to see who's had more is the day you turn into a cunt so dont do it. If one of em starts whinging at you consuming enough power to bring the police helicopter round checking for ganja farms just swallow your principles and buy them a bottle of single malt or something. The rooms thing is slightly different coz that's how they do it in the real world and if I was paying the same as you for a box room I'd claw your eyes out when you were sleeping. Variable rents ftw...

And Matt good luck with that. Is he a sort?

7. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

If it's bad, put an extra bit in. I'm sure you'll find someone else will take the piss with hot water and living room space anyway.

Ta-daaaa.

8. dnbkingz

dnbkingz bollocks

should probably try and stick a finger in her mate.

9. Datt Male

Datt Male Active Member

live in the dark... u tight bastard lol

10. CRoOK

CRoOK Audio Artillery

just split it all evenly, electricity isnt much anyway. me and my flat mates put £60 a month on, and use TV, laptops, Mac (which is practically always on), turntables, it easily covers it all, and word on the street is we are £200 credit which we will get back when our contract ends. BONUS

11. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

all of u put money in a seperate account where all ur bills can be debited from
    all do a standing order for how ever much each month, put a lil extra than expected in there just to cover yourself, then at the end of the year you will all have a lil bit extra dosh to play with.

thats what i did in a house share and it worked out really well

12. Subjekt Music

Subjekt Music Well-Known Member

And if you can, stand at the door of one of your flatmates bedrooms, crack the door open a tad and just crack one off while he sleeps

He'll never know you were there. Unless you spunk on the door handle

13. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

cheers for the advice, id just like to clear up soemthing, i dont mind splitting everything, but im gonna be using a lottttt more electricity than other people lol. I'll have a word, maybe theyre cool with splitting it all.

14. GeeLeb

GeeLeb Member

Moved out last Friday with a mate of mine, our utility bills are included in the rent which is a bonus. We are just doing what TeddyBizzle has said and putting it into a joint account and getting it taken from there. Its an awesome feelin having your own gaff. Good luck with it mayne

15. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

dont forget council tax, its a cunt if it turns up unexpectidly, espcially on a 3 bed house

---------- Post added at 12:18 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

you can get Energy monitors, but setting it up for 3 seperate rooms would be hard to figure out, but if you can work out how much ur lab is using, say if its 2kW (excessive probly), and you have it running 12 hours a day, then thats 24KwH per day, about 672KwH per month...so then you can work it out from the bill how you need to pay, bearing in mind that an Electric bill is usually more expensive for the first say 100KwH, and less for the rest, that figure i just made up coz it depends on the company

16. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

with regards to sharing out chores such as cooking, cleaning, washing up, laundry etc

u mentioned a woman will be living there too!

dilema over!

17. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

all my leccy and shit it rigged, got a meter on everything and bodged the lot, but then i am a horrible little scouse scum bag.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  18. Fortune^

Fortune^ ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

Find the most organised person from the group. Have the bills go out from their account, have them text you the amount owed. You pay them through internet banking with the monlthy reference. you can then back this up from the text.

I have used this system for years and it by far the one which produces the least problems.

19. Gumby

Gumby New Member

dont admit to your flatmates that u'll be using the most electricity!! are you mad! wait for them to bring it up and they chances are they probably never will!

20. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

always had issues with splitting the bills when I lived out...

ended up we took on one bill each and got the money off each other
    It didnt really work and we ended up leaving the place after a year or so.

As what Gumby said ^ be a bit selfish and look out for yourself because at the end of the day only No.1 matters most, especially if it all starts going tits up.