movement in bass

co0ke

windowlicker
VIP Junglist
just interested to hear peoples techniques used to achieve this?
some examples:

c&s - streetlife
commix - strictly
lomax - artisan vip

the last two all i can pick out is maybe a type of fm modulation?

i find it particularly hard making a bassline that doesnt sound flat or constant. detuning and low freq cut off gives movement but then the tone of it sounds gash cos its out of tune.

would be wicked to hear anyones ideas?

also the sub on break's - reach out i love but have no idea how its made to sound like its being pushed through or driven if that makes any sense...

peas

For streetlife my technique to achieve that bass would be :

3xOsc in fruity
1 Sine Wave
Play notes low on the piano roll (between c2-c3)
Then for the wobble effect play a note just below the note u are playing on simultaneously an lower the velocity, simple.

For commix n lomax try using square waves with really low cut offs an put a envelope with a very large attack on em an also add distortions an choruses with the same amount of attack for it to wail out as it reaches the end of a note???

Thats my 2 cents! hope it helps :D

nice one for that (y)

i see what ur saying, but by using another note to make a wobble effect, arent u initiating a pitch clash? is the idea to sneak the other note in with a very low vel?

Yea pretty much man all i can say is play around till it sounds right.
The pitch clash is an easy way to make it wobble there are other ways of doing it i.e lfo on the pitch etc but thats just my personal preference.
If u do a wobble type thing on higher notes an then layer with a sub it sounds heavy!! Kinda like jungle music by logistics.

artisan vip bassline i THINK is done by getting a nice smoov bass,

and slowly creaking the sustain up on the filter envolope. you want to have low decay aswell and obviously the pitch shifts down by 1 as the note progresses

and then the second note has the same but with the lfo assignd to the f.freq im guessing

same principle for strictly

and yeah wobble bass just get ur LFO going to ur Filter frequency and then bobs ur uncle

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom