motor speed on 1210's

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
is there any way of improving the strength of the motor... would a repair shop do it for me?
they're not really bad but compared to my mates the difference is noticable.:confused:

take the platter off, make sure there isnt loads of dust/fluff/shit
round the magnets.....

It cud be that, seen it happen b4....

and no u cant improve the motors if they are worn out

our probs being parranoid yours are worse than his,, when there probs exactly the same

unless they have been abused by last owner, or dropped or some shit, 1210s will last 4ever

cheers man.
ill check hopefully just a bit of a dust.
theres deffo some difference when im cuein a track i have to give it a slight push to get it goin at the right speed straight off whereas my mates all you gota do is let go n theyre flyin!!

Also in the instruction book it says to take the platter off and oil the contre spindle with bayby oil. Only do this every 2000 hours of use though.

Just lift them off. It requires quite a little tug cus there heavy.
Don't do it too much though! It wont do them any good in the long run.

i could never work out how to get my platters off, i dont wanna force them incase i fuck me decks up, but does it require force to get em off? or some special technique?

They need to be turned off when you take them off! The magnet is engaged when the power is on so it would be near impossible to pull them off. Check that the magnet isn't chipped anywhere. Technics motors can burn out and lose torque making them more like Soundlabs.

They need to be turned off when you take them off! The magnet is engaged when the power is on so it would be near impossible to pull them off. Check that the magnet isn't chipped anywhere. Technics motors can burn out and lose torque making them more like Soundlabs.

Not true. The magnet is permanent and is energised whether the power is on or not. It takes the same force tp pull the platter off, switched on or not. The reason there's a sticker on the platter telling you to switch off first is because the magnet forms the load for the coil that surrounds it. Remove the magnet and you remove the load, leading to an overcurrent that will cook a component, probably the coil itself.

Edit: On a side note, the platter is attached to the spindle by a Morse Taper. These are high quality and are used frequently in engineering, especially for holding drill bits or milling tools in a shaft in place of a less accurate key chuck. Morse Tapers are designed to hold on tight, hence the problem.

To remove the platter, put your fingers through the platter holes and push down on the spindle with your thumbs. If that doesn't do it, then pull upwards on the platter (using the holes) and get someone to lightly tap the spindle with a block of wood.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom