morphing/ z-plane filters.

smoothassilk

VIP Junglist
Ok, this was something that a few people have been asking about on different forums. I now know what a morphing filter is, and I've found one in Synthmaster to play with, goes between high and low pass.

Just playing with it doesn't immediately make me go 'wow, that's awesome'. It sounds like I expected, high pass at one end, low at the other, neutral in the middle.

Can someone give me advice on the kinds of patches to use it on, and how it's used?
Maybe link to some tracks with it in?
Do you have to modulate it in some way?
Just why is it so awesome?

check this plugin out: http://www.tone2.com/html/___filterbank3.html

Came across it the other day, havent looked back. Its a seriously good filter modulator.

I'm sure it's excellent, but I'm not spending any more money at the moment. It's not because I'm too poor as such, but I already have both analogue and digital style lowpass, highpass, bandpass, notch, morphing, and dual filters, plus a digital comb, with custom tooth length. I can shove two on at the same time, in series or in parallel, and they all have so many options, that I don't think there's anything I couldn't do, really.
I definitely don't want to get into the habit of buying plugins or hardware, it's just a bottomless pit for money.

I guess you just use a morphing filter to create wobbles, in the same way you could use a lowpass, bandpass or notch. I might try routing it to a 2.d. envelope, with cutoff on one axis and morphing on the other? Then fiddle about with it and record some crazy movements?

Probably there's just too much hype surrounding them. Thanks anyway.

Here's a .pdf I picked up a while back explaining the basic workings of the EMU z-plane morph filter.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6z92kep8nj7ce55

It's basically a low-pass when the cutoff is in the high-end, as you bring it down the highs lose their attenuation while the cutoff becomes a band-shelf to push up the mids on it's way through, before losing the boosting as it transforms into a high-pass filter as the cutoff reaches the bottom ends of the spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom