More OOOOMFFFF out of that KICK

Krispy

VIP Junglist
I'm having some trouble making a deeper, longer, more prolonged kick... Basically I want to make a kick thats like ooooommmff!!!!

So i'm trying to make it like a quarter bar or 1/8 bar long but can't seem to get it to drag out.

I'm using Ableton, if that matters...

Is there a combo of layered kicks I should do or add some effects? Need some tips :boom:

I assume you're simply dropping a sample in the sequencer..?

If so, you can timestretch it a number of ways in order to "lengthen" it... or you can run it through some verb to add tail, along with delay, and a number of combinations of said effects to achieve different results. You can also chop the sample up and stack different pieces back to back to make the KD hit longer... there are lots of ways to do it.

If you were making a KD via Synthesis, you could simply increase the Decay of the Oscillator or the Release of the Envelope or both to "lengthen" it.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with Ableton, but basically what I am doing is dropping the sample into the Impulse Drum Rack. I'm not sure if that is the same thing as dropping it in the sequencer. But basically what I was hoping to gain from this was some common techniques for extending the length of the sound for the kick.

I'm going to try some of what you said, thanks for the reply :)

a prolonged kick becomes a bassnote i think so cut your kick and loop the end of it, if thats possible with your sample. or, layer it with a sustained bass that you tweak and slot in the same place as the kick. so the kick itself only does the attack and the bass does the rest. on some synths youve got a kick preset which you can tweak to be long (legacy, junglist)

Make an 808 style kick, layer it underneath your kick, eq both to blend them, then add more decay to the 808 and abit of reverb with long release on your kick.

Newbie Question:

When you say "eq both to blend them" what do you mean by that and how would I do that? I understand I would use an equalizer tool but I don't completely understand

Newbie Question:

When you say "eq both to blend them" what do you mean by that and how would I do that? I understand I would use an equalizer tool but I don't completely understand

eq them so they dont sound muddy together. tis kinda hard to explain accross a forum

Correct me if I am wrong, I could use the equalizer to isolate the dominate frequencies of the two different kicks?

spot on - you can do alot with EQ's. There is some good articles on equalisation on the Sound on Sound website - have a read :)

I'm not sure if you are familiar with Ableton, but basically what I am doing is dropping the sample into the Impulse Drum Rack. I'm not sure if that is the same thing as dropping it in the sequencer. But basically what I was hoping to gain from this was some common techniques for extending the length of the sound for the kick.

I'm going to try some of what you said, thanks for the reply :)

Lol, I just explained to you how to go about doing that.

Since you're loading a sample into a Rompler, there's no way to 'magically' make the sample longer other than running it through Verb or Delay.... as I explained, you can take your sample and simply input it into the Sequencer (just drag the sample from your folder into the 'big open area where the music is made'), and from there you can do all the edits you want on the sample thereby extending it indefinitely if you so choose or simply doubling the length or whatever combination you go with.

When using a Rompler, you can't make a sample last longer, but you can shorten it by decreasing the Decay, Release or Both.

Like I said before, if you were Synthesizing your KD with a 'Synth', you would have full control over how long the sound lasts by how long you set the Decay, Release or Both.

Back
Top Bottom