More Dj's In Dnb!

lokki

JUNGLIST FROM DEYA
VIP Junglist
The world of dnb is strange!!! in hip hop the producers and DJ's are generally quite seperate areas. In dnb the producers and DJ's are the same!!

is this a problem????

Should we have more focus on the actual DJ's skills and not so much on production when it comes to live sets?

hmmmm

I reckon (for what its worth!) that DJ's and producers should be on the whole seperated!

My point is this... just cos you can produce does not mean u can mix!!! there are nuff examples of people that think cos they are wicked on a Mac then they can transfer their skills to the Technics!

not so!

its an interesting point!!!

:weirdo:

Mmmkay, Where to start?

Producers that DJ have advantages of knowing what works on the dancefloor, knowin how to structure a tune for mixing purposes, and having the ability to make a tune and test it for levels/eqs without having to pass onto a dj/ cutting house.

Producer that DJ obviously get the exclusives - prolly coz they made the tune themselves, or label-mates/contacts send the exclusives, a bit of "you-scratch-my-back-ill-scratch-yours".

Pendulums Ren. Hardware set is a perfect example of the above. C'mon, youd give Fresh evey tune youve made for a copy of Kingston Vampires (I know i would!)

I think pretty much every A list DJ has produced a tune at one point or another, whether its solo efforts or teaming up with an established artist - its a way to channel energy into something other than standing in front of turntables every day.

Something to think about, might add more later....

thats rite there r shit loads of dnb djs /but some djs that produce and mix are good main stage they no how to get it going in rave .but personally i love the djs that rip it with the dubs and shit /MORE THE BETTER

Also DnB is unique in that a very high percentage of people who are into it are into DJing it to some extent, whether 'proper DJs', bedroom DJs, or just buying a few vinyls everynow and then, and that doesn't happen in other types of music.

Don't know if this is relevant or not. I've been thinking it for a while tho... :moe:

I'd also say that the average DnB raver's knowledge of what's being played is higher than most other music / club scenes.

D BREAKNECK said:
I'd also say that the average DnB raver's knowledge of what's being played is higher than most other music / club scenes.

agreed, which i think its bad to an extent, since you allready know what you gonna listen to before you even go to the club.
I for one used to enjoy me early club days much more than now, when goin like :
<<fack,,wots this monster of a tune?!?! ace.**dance dance dance**>>
..whereas now, its more like
<<ah..vampire eyes by john B, coming on his new album, clowntekno, 8th track on the CD, 2nd side on the vinyl, amen brakes, virous synth bass..blahblah **nod head nod head nod head>>

know watta i mean ?

know what ya mean Gordo, I agree. I think many DJs start producing so they can get noticed, for the same reasons Jay mentioned too. You can be shit-hot but until people know who you are you wont be a huge name DJ, just a 'regular' DJ. I can think of several excellent DJs who were on the scene here for years and now get plenty of international gigs cos they got recognised as good producers.

I also agree there are loads or regular headz who learn to mix, dNb is not a spectator sport !! :dual:

In days of old, you needed an entirely hardware based setup to produce a tune which cost a hell of a lot of money, so I'd say dj's and producers were more separated back then, although the true scene pioneers had a hand in both aspects.

Nowadays I don't think being enitirely a dj will cut it because you would always be behind those dj's that produce aswell. And seeing that anybody with a pc/mac can make a tune, it would be silly for all the wannabe dj's not to jump on the bandwagon and make tunes to get ahead of the game.

In that respect I think it's a bit sad that dj's feel they MUST make tunes to keep afloat in this scene, but It doesn't seem that there is any room for a plain old dj anymore. I guess you just have to roll with the times though.

M-Code said:
In days of old, you needed an entirely hardware based setup to produce a tune which cost a hell of a lot of money, so I'd say dj's and producers were more separated back then, although the true scene pioneers had a hand in both aspects.

Nowadays I don't think being enitirely a dj will cut it because you would always be behind those dj's that produce aswell. And seeing that anybody with a pc/mac can make a tune, it would be silly for all the wannabe dj's not to jump on the bandwagon and make tunes to get ahead of the game.

In that respect I think it's a bit sad that dj's feel they MUST make tunes to keep afloat in this scene, but It doesn't seem that there is any room for a plain old dj anymore. I guess you just have to roll with the times though.

Couldnt have put it better myself mate !

One thing i do hate is the way SOME ravers
nowadays complain about DJ's & how shit
there tune selection & mixing skills are !

There hasn't been 1 rave ive been to recently
without listening to ravers complaining bout DJ's.....

O.K. i know some of the big guns can be a bit slack every now & then but it seems like theres a new breed of Bandwagon ravers/wannabe DJ's that go out to Drum & Bass nights just to critisize the people who made this scene happen in the 1st place & that is sad !

Nothing to do with this thread i know, but this
has been bugging me for a while.. so just had 2
have a rant !!!

:piss:

yeah..
and the funny thing is that the peeps who complain, (for the majority of them) have never even lifted a needle or tried to produce.
i give big up to all those people who contribute to the scene, coz not everybody is an andy c or pendulum. :rave:

chamberz said:
Couldnt have put it better myself mate !

One thing i do hate is the way SOME ravers
nowadays complain about DJ's & how shit
there tune selection & mixing skills are !

There hasn't been 1 rave ive been to recently
without listening to ravers complaining bout DJ's.....

O.K. i know some of the big guns can be a bit slack every now & then but it seems like theres a new breed of Bandwagon ravers/wannabe DJ's that go out to Drum & Bass nights just to critisize the people who made this scene happen in the 1st place & that is sad !

Nothing to do with this thread i know, but this
has been bugging me for a while.. so just had 2
have a rant !!!

:piss:

I agree, why the fuck do they bother? I dont want to be dancing to a wicked set and have some sad-case lean over inform me that last time he saw this DJ he was crap? FUCK OFF!!
:mad_guy:

i reckon most of the new producers have good skills on the turntables,whereas some people who made tunes from day 1 seem 2 lack the mixin skills imo.
as the nu generation of djs take over i think the mixin will have 2 be tighter. production is an important part of djin if you want 2 be a big name dj, as it allows the dj 2 bring the newest tunes to the crowd, but for the mo im happy 2 jus dj!

IMO there's plenty of producers who can DJ very well, people like Dylan, Blame or Breakage for example. They get booked on the strength of their DJing just as much as because they are known as producers.

I think the people who shouldn't be allowed near decks are more the people who only get booked because they sell a lot of records and not for their skills on the decks - people like Distorted Minds, Twisted etc. They are only booked 'cos clueless people know their names and those names on a flyer pull them in.

Last edited:
V Matt said:
IMO there's plenty of producers who can DJ very well, people like Dylan, Blame or Breakage for example. They get booked on the strength of their DJing just as much as because they are known as producers.

I think the people who shouldn't be allowed near decks are more the people who only get booked because they sell a lot of records and not for their skills on the decks - people like Distorted Minds, Twisted etc. They are only booked 'cos clueless people know their names and those names on a flyer pull them in.

that is kinda my point.....

what i mean is that, take twisted, for example, he is a strong producer and whacks out x amount of tunes per month. he gets paid a nice wedge fromSS to do that plus he runs his stuff and cgets cash for that. But his DJ skills are not the best...he is adequate, yes, in the same way that my mixin is adequate but he gets paid big money for it!!!!

just cos u r a great producer does not meant that u shuld get paid loads for DJing especially if u aint nothing special.

I too get pissed off with people who whine at raves about the mixing etc when they dont do shit. but that goes for the whole scene, you get loads of people who moan about the scene, events, promoters, the fact that breakneck is too expensive blah blah ive heard it all , and they sit around all day doing fuck all and spend all their cash flow on booze and weed and never put out for the scene! that does piss me off!

what i am also saying is that it would be cool if their was more emphasisi on DJing as a seperate skill from producing...just cos u can produce anbd sit behind ur pc all day staring at reason or whatever does not mean that u can necersarily mix well and thus when u play out should not be paid for a skill u dont have!!!!!

u get me?

It would be better if uu had teqams or crews with producers and DJ's together where they bwork together. one has the technical knowledge and one has the feel for the decks and can be creative in that way!

look at bad co. back in the day that was kinda like producers who couldnt mix, except for one of them.

(i have a tape from jungle fever that proves that vegas and maldini couldnt really mix for shit, but i bet they got paid for it big!)

You can't really blame people for doing it though, there is less money in producing though than you'd think, most people turn to DJing because it's very hard to making a living from just producing.

I guess in a way it's partly the fault of the punters, if they would rather pay to hear Twisted Individual clanging up some dubs rather than hear an unknown DJ with 50 times more skill on the decks but tunes that aren't as fresh then that is what they will get. That's why I prefer to check out smaller nights 'cos you know most of the DJs are there on merit. Having said that I've done that in the past, used to go and see Bad Company a lot a few years ago just 'cos they had a lot of fucking sick dubs that nobody else had got their hands on yet :lol:

Must be fucking frustrating for all the DJs out there that have the skills but can't get gigs. I think Flight is really the only person in the past few years to have made it big in their DJing alone. All the other DJs who don't produce or have produced very little like Bailey made it when it was much easier to do it on DJ skills alone.

Last edited:
I also think the DJ / producer cross over thing is one of the things that keeps the DnB so fresh and unique.

The more people DJing out the better,imo, but obviously there's certain big names who really should improve their mixing, and v.talented unknowns who really deserve a break.

:shrug:

:miss_rep:

Being a producer means that once you get a gig you'll have a set of good tunes that nobody else has got. If you're one of the only ones playing them then people will have to see you to hear them.
I quite like hearing sets that are a single producer's style cos at least each set will be different.

V Matt said:
I think Flight is really the only person in the past few years to have made it big in their DJing alone. All the other DJs who don't produce or have produced very little like Bailey made it when it was much easier to do it on DJ skills alone.

yeah but flight is producing now!!! and she proves my point cos her skills are fukin excellent and she doesnt just mix all the latest dubs!!!! or at least thats not how she got famous!!!

check interview with storm in context mag to see that she had skills that grabeed kem' and storm attention way back and she used to just mix up everything!!!! not just the latest tracks!

jay walker said:
Mmmkay, Where to start?

Producers that DJ have advantages of knowing what works on the dancefloor, knowin how to structure a tune for mixing purposes, and having the ability to make a tune and test it for levels/eqs without having to pass onto a dj/ cutting house.

Producer that DJ obviously get the exclusives - prolly coz they made the tune themselves, or label-mates/contacts send the exclusives, a bit of "you-scratch-my-back-ill-scratch-yours".

Pendulums Ren. Hardware set is a perfect example of the above. C'mon, youd give Fresh evey tune youve made for a copy of Kingston Vampires (I know i would!)

I think pretty much every A list DJ has produced a tune at one point or another, whether its solo efforts or teaming up with an established artist - its a way to channel energy into something other than standing in front of turntables every day.

Something to think about, might add more later....

I think this is pretty much spot on. Also Hiphop gives DJs alot more room for more intricate mixing work, Scratching etc., whereas dnb is more restricted, and judged more on tightness and selection than anything else.

Spor said:
I think this is pretty much spot on. Also Hiphop gives DJs alot more room for more intricate mixing work, Scratching etc., whereas dnb is more restricted, and judged more on tightness and selection than anything else.

did ya pull that one out of mixmag or what? :)

illv//

Back
Top Bottom