Montior speaker problem?

Welsh Junglist

AKA Faqade
VIP Junglist
I got myself some new speakers the other day, Behringer MS40's from a local music shop for £85 (pic below). I'm pretty happy with them tbh but I've noticed that when they're loud (not maxed out) the right hand speaker (the one with the built in amp) makes a little kind of squeeky rattle. The bass knob is only at a 1/4 and same with the treble knob. The left speaker doesn't do it it's just the right one. I was just wondering what could be causing it? Thanks everyone!

bmr1712292vg7.jpg

I got myself some new speakers the other day, Behringer MS40's from a local music shop for £85 (pic below). I'm pretty happy with them tbh but I've noticed that when they're loud (not maxed out) the right hand speaker (the one with the built in amp) makes a little kind of squeeky rattle. The bass knob is only at a 1/4 and same with the treble knob. The left speaker doesn't do it it's just the right one. I was just wondering what could be causing it? Thanks everyone!

bmr1712292vg7.jpg

squeeky rattles......you could try making sure all the screws and alan key holes are tight to eliminate some possible rattle? something could simply be loose.

does it sound like its the speaker/woofer/tweet dome itself or the cabinet? if its the cabs then it would be fixed up fairly easily by yourelf i reckon. if its the actual woofer thats giving you horrid squeeks n stuff then i would demand a replacement from where you got them from, or use your warranty if you have one.

all in all, stating the obvious here but Behringer arnt exactly known for there attention to sound quality or build quality.

if you still have this issue after a fix or replacement, i would consider spending more and getting something that can handle what you wanna chuck at it, and a bit more.

some of the Tapco range are fairly priced (cheaper mackies really) and the M Audio arnt to sad either.

I'm reviving this old thread to post a suggested solution for the people from the Internets googling for this problem. I bought these same Behringer MS40 speakers from amazon a few weeks ago, and had the exact same problem, right speaker would make loud rattle sound when bass is on. After I researched this problem online, it seems this is quite a common problem with the MS40, one guy even exchanged and got the same problem with the 2nd set of MS40. I didn't really want to ship the stupid thing back to amazon unless I have to. So I opened up the right speaker, trying to find what's causing the rattling. It seems to me that it is the untied cable that is causing the rattling, there are two loose cables (one thick, one thin), directly behind the sub-woofer, and comes loose by default. So I duct taped these cables securely to the internal wall of the speaker, making sure they will not touch the sub-woofer at all, then I put everything back, tested it with a heavy bass, and the rattling is gone.

Last edited:
I bought several sets of these same monitor speakers, for myself and family members. The rattle has absolutely bothered me for years, so I finally googled to find this thread.

I want to add that the rattle goes away when I unscrew and pull out the front panel knob controls. This seems consistent with the above poster who suggests that the wires are being bumped by the woofer cone inside. I will tie the wires down and already expect this to work.

Here I was about to drill extra "air holes" into the speaker cabinet thinking it was a pressure issue. Thanks for hosting this thread and saving me from myself!

Back
Top Bottom