Mono-Stereo-Club systems Query

Dj Methodist

soundcloud.com/methodist
So i have been pondering the matter about using mono/stereo divisions when producing, (obviously having sub, kicks, low mids and bottom ends of snares in mono and pretty much everything else in stereo).

What i was wondering is that i have read a lot of places, club systems are wired in mono so things like stereo panning wont ring true when you hear them out?
I know that vinyl is mono but seeing that a large majority of DJs play CDs (in stereo format), does that mean that when you play the CD say in your car, you can hear the stereo effects, and when you play the same CD at a club, you wont hear them?

Also can anyone shed any light on Phase cancellation with stereo/mono, as i have also read many places "always check your mix in mono to check for phase cancellation"....

Cheers!:rinsed:

tbh I've never been in a club that has a mono sound system. It's finland tho so dont count on that.

---------- Post added at 22:53 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

And I've never been to anyone's house that has a mono system either. Or maybe to a place where the 'DJ' had an iPhone (no dock whatsoever mind you) for playing his selection. classy.

your most likley to find mono rigs at squats, not in clubs

really you only need the sub in Mono, so everything <100hz, you dont even have to do that, if your careful and check your phase balance is ok (basicly means making sure you dont have alternating spikes Left and Right, otherwise they will cancel each other out and reduce the volume, you can use something like WAVES spec analyser to check that), no reason why you cant have stereo sub too

Last edited:
your most likley to find mono rigs at squats, not in clubs

really you only need the sub in Mono, so everything <100hz, you dont even have to do that, if your careful and check your phase balance is ok (basicly means making sure you dont have alternating spikes Left and Right, otherwise they will cancel each other out and reduce the volume, you can use something like WAVES spec analyser to check that), no reason why you cant have stereo sub too

false if you want to cut in on vinyl tho. the cutting needle wont handle stereo signals below approximately 200hz.

false if you want to cut in on vinyl tho. the cutting needle wont handle stereo signals below approximately 200hz.

200hz? eek, i thought it was upto 120hz ish and I assumed it would be dealt with during the mastering stage @ the cutters? 200hz is very high, good to know, although i dont have any intention of releasin on vinyl tbh

figures vary tbh. im monoing around the 200hz mark and below.. and yeah, cutters will deal with that if its not ok, but as stereo seems louder to your ears, your sub will seem less loud when being put to mono after the mixdown..

Back
Top Bottom