Drum & Bass Mono drums, bass etc

Discussion in 'Production' started by Syn, May 3, 2015.

1. Syn

Syn Aka Barrier

Hi all, newbie here

Been watching a few tutorials on beat production recently & it has been mentioned on a few of them to use mono kick drums to give more presence.. saying that stereo imaging can mess up things. Is this true? Also using your sub bass as a mono signal? What's the advantages and disadvantages to using mono over stereo signals in your track & do any of you use these techniques? Many thanks

2. Solace

Solace Active Member

Yea its a must to mono everything below 300hz
    those frequencies need to be in the middle field, giving the thump to the song. when a sub/kick moves from sides to side, or is very wide, it just loses that.

This really needs to become a habit. Every sub and kick, instantly mono.
    There are also some useful plugins that do this. I use the ozone stereo imager: below 300hz full mono, then gradually more and more stereo

Alert likes this.
  3. Syn

Syn Aka Barrier

Thanks mate, i will look at them plug ins nice one

4. Syn

Syn Aka Barrier

Also with the sound being mono, which speaker does it output from?

5. Solace

Solace Active Member

Yea ozone my go to plugin to trow on my master.

And because it's mono, it'll come equally loud from both speakers, that the whole point of putting it mono.

6. Syn

Syn Aka Barrier

Sound advice mate

7. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

Its not a must to mono everything below 300hz, you can get some nice width and fatness down there, i'd say bout 100hz works for me the best. The whole point of monoing isnt to make stuff the same volume both channel, unless you have some kind of panning thing a wide sound would likely be the same volume both speakers anyway, its just to put something dead center in the stereo image, which sound good for a lot of drums.
    You have have drums, as wide as you want, but personally i dont like the sound of it, so i never do it. If anything it does add presence, try it yourself. Especially with headphones, wider drums definitely have more presence, but they arguably sound weird and are a bit harder to mix with other stuff thats wide. https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct00/articles/stereomix.htm

There's a lot of materials and threads about sub, best keep it mono. Phase is very important when it comes to mono vs wide, Its very recommend that you understand it, here's a good article explaining whyhttp://www.uaudio.com/blog/understanding-audio-phase.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    ManuForti and RUSSLA like this.
  8. tewky1

tewky1 Well-Known Member

All club systems reproduce your music in mono anyways?

Someone please correct if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that making the low end Mono had something to do with the issue of printing the music onto Vinyl?

9. Solace

Solace Active Member

Yea I think so. A bigger stereo image would lead to wider lines on the vinyl, which could cause easier skipping.
    Don't quote me on this though, but I'm kinda sure that's the reason for vinyl.

And yea Mania explained it much better then I did... Follow that advice

10. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

After listening to how people like mefjus and guys do stuff I think the whole 'mono below 200/300hz" is kinda dated.

If unsure then put a song that you like the sound of into your daw and analysise it, the easiest way.

11. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

I generally try and keep the low end in mono, but a slight boost in the lower mids with a side eq can sound lovely.
    Use it sparingly though

12. tewky1

tewky1 Well-Known Member

I am kind of seeing this also, read a good thing about having low end through reverb, coming from a mix professional under the auspices of mixing secrets. I need to read it again, but sure he was boosting the low end revrb to make the sound bigger. I t was in computer music issue not too long ago.

13. Syn

Syn Aka Barrier

With mono'in kick drums, sub bass etc...is it best using a plug in such as ozone to automatically mono'in everything under a certain frequency? Or make the channel the sample sits on mono? Call me stupid but i cant seem to find the way to change a synth/instrument channel to mono on cubase

14. TinnitusD&B

TinnitusD&B Member

You don't have to use plug ins to mono things. You will be able to manually select either mono/stereo on any channel. Although i won't be able to advise how to on cubase, sorry.

15. thedjnifty

thedjnifty Well-Known Member

In Cubase under the "Spatial + Panner" plugins you'll find the stereo enhancer plugin that has a mono botton, easiest thing is to just put that at the top of your plugin chain.

I'm only on Cubase 6 but that doesn't have any dedicated plugins for doing multiband stereo work, newer versions might though.

Hope this helps.

16. Syn

Syn Aka Barrier

@thedjnifty Thanks man, similar answer to what people said on the Cubase forum, by using the stereo to mono plug in. Nice one

17. Saftstein

Saftstein Active Member

I alwaya do it like this: All of my synths, atmos and fx sounds have stereo imaging especially for higher frequencies (i use ozone for it). My drums have no stereo imaging, because they should sound fat and present on club systems. Both snare and perc(including hats) have stereo frequencies that come from the samples used. The kick is turned to mono, aswell as the sub bass - and only the sub bass. I think reese sounds or higher bass synths also need to be wide.