Monitors...

Wizla

So i'm off to london tomorrow for a bit of shopping need to get some good quality monitors for producing with i cannot stand mixing down tunes with the turd set up i've got at the moment. I'm looking to spend up to £300 anyone have any suggestions?

^^ Not a good thing mate. You want a flat response not a bassy response, this means affectively tracks will have less bass on standard speakers, really bad way to look at monitors!

Go and have a listen and see what sounds best to you. It doesnt matter what people think are the "best", if they sound nice to you and you think you'll work well with them then thats what you want. (y)

^^ Not true at all, if you have no idea what you're talking about or supposed to listen for then how are you making the right decision. This applies to things like mixers and decks but not speakers!

Because if you take some tunes you know well, and listen to them on a range of speakers, then the speakers that you feel most comfortable working with will do the trick, because then you will try and get your mixes to sound balanced against the tunes you used for reference. Arguably, all nearfield monitors designed for studio work will be designed to produce as flat a response as they can (never going to be perfect in lower price ranges obviously).

What im saying is that if you know your speakers well, and know how the mix they present translates to other systems, 1/2db peaks at 6k which the next ones along dont have, arn't actualy that relevant, especially considering the monitors will more than likely spend their lives in an untreated room where their sound will be different to whats quoted on the box anyway.

I just think if your buying speakers based on what their quoted response is, and what other people think, rather than how they sound to your ears, your starting on the wrong foot.

Last edited:
^^ Not a good thing mate. You want a flat response not a bassy response, this means affectively tracks will have less bass on standard speakers, really bad way to look at monitors!

The alesis go down to 38Hz apparently, and the Rockit 8's only hit 45Hz. So that's how they could be interpreted as being 'bassier'.

I just think if your buying speakers based on what their quoted response is, and what other people think, rather than how they sound to your ears, your starting on the wrong foot.

Agree partitally, but I wouldn't like to think I'm buying 'good' speakers that have no intention of producing the sub frequencies I'm after. I'd be immensely pissed if i got some monitors and they didn't go low enough for what I wanted.

But as you say, you can compensate if you know how your speakers should sound and it's always best to test them out before hand with a well produced piece of commercial music - that you know how it *should* sound.
A classic example of this is Metallica - Enter Sandman: all the parts come in individually and it's insanely well produced it's headache inducing.

But as you say, you can compensate if you know how your speakers should sound and it's always best to test them out before hand with a well produced piece of commercial music - that you know how it *should* sound.
A classic example of this is Metallica - Enter Sandman: all the parts come in individually and it's insanely well produced it's headache inducing.

Tuuuuuuuuuuuuune

alesis m1 mk2 get my vote. bassier than the rokits...

I vote them, but i'd say they have less bass and more of a flat response than the krks.

I'd say for mixing probably krks, production or anything else alesis m1 mk2

Back
Top Bottom