Monitors + Sub question

Harry3

Chuki
VIP Junglist
:wave:

Wondering if someone could help me out

Currently my sub has only 2 connections. Line Out (Left and Right RCA), Line In (Left and Right RCA). No XLRs or anything else. Atm Line In is connected to my amps pre-out (a stereo preout, not a mono preout especially for subs) and everythings fine.

If I wanted to upgrade to active monitors, would it work if I plugged in the Left monitor via single RCA to the Left Line Out on my sub, and the same with the Right monitor. Then have it all linked back to my amp (via the preout still)?

yeah, in theory that'd work. I'm not sure why you'd need the amp though . . .
Your amp only drives your speakers right? So your sub has an amp, as will each of the active monitors, so really, you don't need a stand alone amp.

I was running a setup a little while back through my dj rig. The XLR's went to the monitors and the booth/master phono out went to my sub.

Or you could try splitting one xlr out somehow and then converting it to phono with some adapters.

yeah.. could just run the line in straight to my mixer couldnt i... duh :D

the second bit about connecting XLRs then running the sub with RCAs from a master output sounds good though.. think im gonna do that. Cheers! :)

Is this just for mixing?

The problem with some monitor and sub set ups is that the crossover frequencies vary so some may constructively or destructively interfere with each other.

Is this just for mixing?

The problem with some monitor and sub set ups is that the crossover frequencies vary so some may constructively or destructively interfere with each other.

too true!
Its really worth checking the frequency roll-off's of your monitors and sub and adjusting the freq settings of your sub to compensate. Although I found it quite hard to properly balance my system like this probably due to room acoustics, so just went with what I wanted to hear, which always ends up bass heavy :D

Using a sub for mixing is fucking boss. Using a sub when producing is bit of a pain imo, you need bare bass traps for a 10" sub to get the frequency response right. Or you if you know your setup really well then it doesn't matter as much.

get a proper crossover rack unit (one with stereo and sub out), set it up like this:

Master out > crossover > amps > speakers

that way you can control the crossover points properly, rather than relying on the filters of the speakers themselves (which should be set, sub - high as possible, full range - low as possible)

Back
Top Bottom