monitors/ hi-fi?__ value for money

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
I have 2 sets of monitors set up at the minute. Mainly because theyre both crap. 1 set cost 65 and the other set cost 20.
So its gna be cheaper to get a good hi-fi/ amp/speakers rather than a good set of monitors.
are speakers and amp just as good as monitors??!

oh and the stereo i have at the minute has 2 speaker outputs, would it be possible to connect 4 speakers? and even if it is. is it a bit dangerous?

cheers fellllas

Last edited:
I have 2 sets of monitors set up at the minute. Mainly because theyre both crap. 1 set cost 65 and the other set cost 20.
So its gna be cheaper to get a good hi-fi/ amp/speakers rather than a good set of monitors.
are speakers and amp just as good as monitors??!

oh and the stereo i have at the minute has 2 speaker outputs, would it be possible to connect 4 speakers? and even if it is. is it a bit dangerous?

cheers fellllas

I wouldnt say so no. I used to have my set up through a hi fi. Wasnt a cheap one either cost around 150-200. The sound on Hi fi's are distorted rather than the flat sound you get with monitors. I never looked back once i got the monitors.

You can get cheap pair of Alesis monitors which will do the job. If youv got more money though go for KrK's or Mackies.

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=M1PASSMK2

Never connect more than 2 speakers if it hasnt got more than 2 connectors at the back. I did this before as i wanted more speakers and it to be louder. Epic fail. Blew one of the speakers up.

monitors are speakers mate...monitor is a Near-field speaker specificaly designed for studio use.

you mean 'Active' monitors which have thier own amp.

We used to use Tannoy studio monitors. They were ok, but now we have a pair of B&Ws hooked up to a Nad amp, which sounds much clearer. A hifi setup shouldn't be distorting anything unless it's cheap or there's something wrong.

yeh sammy I did mean active monitors my bad. Basically I've got a hifi at home but the speakers aren't the best. Which is why I'm using monitors at the minute.
I've been offered some mission speakers ( old but apparently good speakers ) for pretty cheap which i could hook up to my hifi then connect to my mixer then. And I suppose if all it still sounds bad I could buy an amp for the speakers, how much would I need to spend on a decent amp without breaking the bank?
If i had the money i would fork out on some good monitors but got too much going out and too bad a vinyl addiction!!

Missions were up there with the best back in the day, get a listen to the tweeters first before buying tho as they usually get shot first.

This all depends on what you want to get from your decks. If your just guna use them for mixing then get active monitors, nothing else. If your guna use them for house parties etc etc then get yourself a decent amp with lots of speaker outputs.

I personally don't deal with amps at all anymore when it comes to my turntables, I use active monitors for myself and active PAs if i ever do a party etc. Used to have my decks going to into an old hifi with 4 speakers attached for about a year and never had a problem so its all down to cash and preference I suppose.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom