Monitors- Decks to PC

muzzadj

VIP Junglist
Whats the easiest/quickest way to switch the monitors i have from my decks to my PC and vice versa? They are the krk rp5's so they have the rca, xlr and 1/4" outputs. I use them through 1/4" for my decks though. Hope you can help

Get a decent soundcard if you haven't already got one, I recommend a M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Now run your record or booth output from the mixer into the soundcard input, and run the soundcard's output into a spare line input on your mixer. On your computer you must mute the line in to prevent a feedback loop. I think this is the default state anyway, I never had to adjust mine when I set it up like this.

Now your decks will play into the computer for recording etc, and your computer will play through your KRKs via your mixer. Hope this helps!

No doubt some numpty will pipe up and say "Run your mixer into one of the KRK's inputs, and run your PC into the other". Whatever you do, don't do that! It will potentially overdrive and damage the outputs of your soundcard and mixer.

Last edited:
Get a decent soundcard if you haven't already got one, I recommend a M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Now run your record or booth output from the mixer into the soundcard input, and run the soundcard's output into a spare line input on your mixer. On your computer you must mute the line in to prevent a feedback loop. I think this is the default state anyway, I never had to adjust mine when I set it up like this.

Now your decks will play into the computer for recording etc, and your computer will play through your KRKs via your mixer. Hope this helps!

No doubt some numpty will pipe up and say "Run your mixer into one of the KRK's inputs, and run your PC into the other". Whatever you do, don't do that! It will potentially overdrive and damage the outputs of your soundcard and mixer.

Just checking that by this you mean one of the line in puts on one of the channels?

Sweet advice, Thanks buddy!

Last edited:
Yes that's it. What mixer have you got? Our Rane Empath has an Aux Input which is perfect for this sort of thing.

Glad to help :)

Yes that's it. What mixer have you got? Our Rane Empath has an Aux Input which is perfect for this sort of thing.

Glad to help :)

Vestax VMC 185XL.. Currently hooked up to my PC through the RCA master as i have the speakers connected through the unbalanced 1/4" inputs, so i have 'Send' and 'RCV' still free. Thanks for the help man, looks like a new soundcard is in order!

The RCV output will be perfect. You don't need a new soundcard, but the stock cards most PCs come with are absolute pony

I've got a £40 audio interface can't remember which make but you can use one of those

So RCV into my soundcard for recording mixes etc..

And out from the soundcard to a line in on the mixer for playing stuff on my pc?

I think the RCV is an input, isn't it? I'll check when I'm back in the office tomorrow.

The RCV is an input, its the "receive" part of the effects send & receive. I *think* you can use it as an input, but I'm not sure. So it's probably best just to use a spare line input on one of your channels.

So..

Soundcard Output >>> Spare line input
Soundcard Input <<< Master 1 (unbalanced RCA)

The RCV is an input, its the "receive" part of the effects send & receive. I *think* you can use it as an input, but I'm not sure. So it's probably best just to use a spare line input on one of your channels.

So..

Soundcard Output >>> Spare line input
Soundcard Input <<< Master 1 (unbalanced RCA)

Thanks for all your help mate! Sorted me right out! Now to save up for a new soundcard, along with midi keyboard, new pc and massive!

bumping this up to ask what cable im going to need to go from my speakers to the soundcard? Will be going through rca but only 1 output on each speaker, so is the best bet to get a long rca to mini jack and then split it and plug an end into each speaker?

hope that makes sense!

bumping this up to ask what cable im going to need to go from my speakers to the soundcard? Will be going through rca but only 1 output on each speaker, so is the best bet to get a long rca to mini jack and then split it and plug an end into each speaker?

hope that makes sense!

dont even bother reading this, just read back on the thread and had the wrong idea!

Back
Top Bottom