Monitoring Options

Discussion in 'Production' started by tewky1, Nov 26, 2012.

1. tewky1

tewky1 Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

I live in the sticks in Thailand, and on a whole island search all I could find in headphone options was a dodgy knockoff pair of Beats headphones which after 3 weeks have snapped on both sides by the speakers, all gaffered up now, but the sound is fucking awful.

I just spotted a real set of the David Guetta Mixr phones in a shop here. Anyone else used them? Any good for use with stuff like effective EQ'ing etc, General production?

On the speaker side, I see KRK Rokit's are popular, are there any other good options out there? Can anyone give me any pointers on what other brands have options available for decent monitoring systems? Gonna be a mare to get them shipped here, but will cross that bridge if and when I need to. Hopefully I can find dealers somewhere, but maybe not :(

My ears want to smash these things I am trying to use at the moment, in the face with an ashtray(One of the big fook off Glass things, that pubs had before glass became a verb)!!!

Cheers

2. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Steer well clear of anything thats got someones name attached to it, it's just a marketing ploy to get people to buy their shit, and it is, quite literally shit! If Andy C put his name to a pair of fucking ear muffs, people in the thousands would go crazy for em! Id go with senheissers, or maybe sony for headphones? I'm not really sure, I use a set of DJ monitor headphones that cost like £20 here in the UK, and to be honest, theyre better than some of the ones you'd pay over £100 for!

As for monitors, I use the KRK Rokit 6's and I love them, alot of people say they are coloured and quite warm in sound texture, but they work perfectly for me. Other brands you could look into are M-Audio, Alesis, Yamaha, Mackies to name but a few.

3. Rajstah Vibe

Rajstah Vibe soundcloud.com/rajstah

Studio monitoring headphones: Beyerdynamic FTW
    Dj cue monitor headphones: Pioneer HDJ1000 or Sony or Sennehiser.
    Studio reference flat monitors ( direct field or near field): Adams FTW

When I've read about shit Guetta I had myself a laugh, and nearly not answer.
    But then I couldn't resist... And I gave my 2 coins.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  4. griff71

griff71 New Member

if your struggling to find any decent dealers in thailand, i'm assuming here that your not originally from thailand so my advice would be next time you have to do a visa run, rather than just goin to laos, or malaysia, spend an extra day and get yer arse to singapore. you'll get anything you want there. i know its a hassle but to get the decent gear its your best bet. all the gear in thailand i pretty shitty unless you strike it lucky in bangkok

5. tewky1

tewky1 Well-Known Member

Big Up mate, I usually fly to Kuala Lumpur for the visa run, will have to switch it up to Singapore some time, and see if I can pick something decent up.

6. tewky1

tewky1 Well-Known Member

Not a fan boy or any shit like that, that is quite literally the only thing I can find that is close to being a decent set of phones. The rest is all knock off gear that is killing my ears, with ear shrieking loudness.

Is the whole Beats brand just a marketing ploy? Do they make half decent cans? Anyone real opinion on their products?

7. tewky1

tewky1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice as well mate, appreciated! Somethings to look into.

Cheers

8. Rajstah Vibe

Can't u buy anything that can be delivered by post?
    E.g. Amazon?

9. tewky1

tewky1 Well-Known Member

I can yes, but have had custom nightmares in the past. Will look into it a bit more.

On that note, are there any favourite dealers to use on Amazon? That ship worldwide.

Cheers

10. JReilly

JReilly Member

The beats headphones are not bad but way over priced. More of a fashion statement than anything else.

To get a celberity to indorse your product is not cheap, and ultimately it's the consumer that has to foot the bill.

11. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

mackies or adams are what you wanna look at for monitoring, thats if you have cash to throw around.

12. Rajstah Vibe

This are the headphones (or something similar) you can look for on your local Amazon: Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO Headset - 250 OHM
    I'm using this since more than a year and the sound is brilliant! Excellent value for money.
    I've used AKG, Sennheiser, Pioneer (and I've blown all of them! I'm surprised how come that I'm not def yet!) and so far, Beyerdynamics are the one that I really preferre atm.

On the other hand, this set is not recommended for DJ monitoring, as they are not noise cancelling.
    But the clarity and high definition of almost all range of freqs, is exciting.
    Also the ear pads, are extremely comfortable for long hours sessions, and very light weight.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  13. Rajstah Vibe

Oh, sorry mate, I wasn't laughing at you.
    It's just that when I read that name I just can't stop my laugh...

14. griff71

griff71 New Member

i've got a pair of shure 440s. they're not the best but are a decent enough pair for my needs. heard great things about the beyers though. i just wasn't flush enough to splash out on them.
    the beats by dre are not worth shit for monitoring. they may sound great for listening to your ipod but will deffo colour the sounds and therefore not give you a true sound for monitoring.

15. Rajstah Vibe

What set it is?
    I need urgently a cheap Dj headphones set.
    Possibly to buy online, as I have not time for shopping around.