Monitoring Headphones

Oria

Any suggestions on headphones for stereo monitoring of production(s) or just general quality listening rather than something that plays loud to mix with ?

ot sure

i've been lusting over the dt 990 but i guess I'll have to take the dt 770 pro because my "studio" is in out living room and occasionally I have to let my more beautiful half watch some telly, so it has to be semi-closed or closed. From what I understand the 990 and 770 are very similiar apart from the open vs closed back design.

I've seen the 770 for under 150€, which is really cheap considering the quality.

But the real question is, what's the difference between "DT 770 Pro" and "DT 770 (2005 edition)", other than 50€ :confused:

Last edited:
GAK has the DT990's for £119.

I was also going to ask about closed/open back.
I'm not usually working in a silent environment either. Which is better, how much ambient noise is too much for open backs...that sort of thing.

Headphones which are used for DJing should not be used for production and vice versa?

I have pioneer hdj 1000 I use for DJing but I also use these for production when my room isn't quiet.

Should I have different headphones for the production side of things?

Love my Beyerdynamic DT-250's..

i got a pair of those only used em twice. bought em cos i went abroad and would wait to invest in monitors when i get back to the uk. just doesnt feel right for me tho making a track on phones

ye, true about the 990. with them on a moderate volume, i can pretty much hear everything going on around me. i prefer this, as wearing closed cups for a long time makes me feel a bit disorientated, especially the moment i take em off. my housemate got the 770 pro, and he's happy to use em for monitoring as a live engineer, so yeah, they're pretty closed.. no idea what's the difference between the 770 models, but if you wanna go the extra money mile, get the 880. so lush, and you can even colour code them at beyerdynamic's website. very pimp!

But what do i know, I dont even dj...

Lol... I've heard sennheiser is a popular brand.
It's just that every house party I've been too and almost every club I've been behind the booth of had Sony MDR 6-900s.

Hell, there's probably 5-10 "standards"... ya know. :)

ive had some AKG 240's for about 2 weeks now

first pair of good cans ive had and im seriously impressed with them thus far

Back
Top Bottom