Monitor/Sub advice

Howitzer

VIP Junglist
Hi all,
So ive been working with a pair of Equator D5's for a while, I do love them but they cut off around 50hz which isnt ideal when making dnb. I'm finding I make my basslines a little too high so I can actually hear the bass and work with it as im missing the sub range.

So my question is 2 fold:

1. Should I upgrade to 8" monitors and sell the D5's
2. Should I keep the D5's and get a studio sub

I was initially swaying to option 1, but all the amazing reviews of the D5's are making me want to go option 2.

Can anyone recommend a good sub for that price? Failing that im thinking of upgrading to either Event 20/20 V3's or Yam HS80m's

My budget is around £400

Also I should add im working in a small, U shaped attic room with sloped ceilings and no room treatment.

TIA!

I am in much the same situation as you are mate, and i can tell you the first thing the guys here will tell you is to get some treatment first. It's not just for dealing with sub resonance, its for the whole spectrum. For example my 3x3 bedroom only slightly adds low reflections, but the 2kh+ can get extremely harsh at high volumes to the point where you can feel it in your whole ear. So maybe have a look at some affordable treatment first.

cheers for the response mate, room treatments not cheap eh!?

any pointers for some room analysis software? Just so I know where to start.

Ive recently just been down the road you're about to and it's really paid off to the sound of my room.... But, it ISN'T a necessity, it just isn't! If you know your monitors well and know you're room well then it doesn't matter. Something worth thinking about

@russla-DJ, I assume youre talking about sound treatment?

I'd rather not have to shell out another £200 for some foam, especially since I rent my house and they probably wouldnt take well to soundproofing on the walls.

But then adding a sub in the mix might make my room a mess, and theres certianly no way I can afford bass traps too.

I'm confident my mixes are coming along nicely, and after 6 months or so with the D5's theyve worn in and I'm really happy with everything I hear out of them, its just the bottom end that im missing. I have to reference on several other systems quite a few times over to get it all sitting right. I need to cut down the amount of mixdowns it takes to finish a tune.

yeah was talking about treatment. foam will only do mids and highs (depending on what you buy) and bass traps are fooking expensive unless you spend HOURS and HOURS making your own.

I totally hear what you're saying about the sub freqs tho. Especially with our music 50hz just doesnt cut it. Get some Adams Ax7s, they go down to 42hz, so once you learn how they sound you should be 'fine' lol

- - - Updated - - -

See my studio in the pictures thread on here :)

Don't bother with a sub man, most people will tell you they are simply for effect. They can really ruin your mixdowns and stuff, I use my hd25's for checking the bass and speakers for the rest of it, best thing is to be able to reference anyway so you know how it sounds through multiple speakers/headphones.

I duno, we are making drum and bass after all.. Id recommend using one personally, dem feels

I got a sub for 40 quid it does exactly what everyone other sub does and it i swear i can hear it rumble around 30.

Yeah thats the thing, everyone has a different opinion if they need a sub or not.

I did try a decent hi-fi sub a while back and it definitely had the oomph, just not the control and in retrospect, the crossovers I was using were a total mess.

So has anyone here used a studio sub with their production setup?

I use two KRK Rokit 8" Monitors and a KRK 10S Subwoofer with the crossover set at 80hz and I absolutely love it. I produce sub-bass heavy music (Drum and Bass/Deep Dubstep) so I find it essential to be able to know exactly what is going on down there.

I use two KRK Rokit 8" Monitors and a KRK 10S Subwoofer with the crossover set at 80hz and I absolutely love it. I produce sub-bass heavy music (Drum and Bass/Deep Dubstep) so I find it essential to be able to know exactly what is going on down there.

Personally, you need the 0-50hz range, thats SOO much you have lost right there! Tbh if you know what you are doing your mixdown wont be too out of range. But simply bro in my experience and field you accurately need the 0-50hz range in order to properly cutoff 0-20hz for example or use it a tiny bit, its all music and frequency and if you use it right you can use ANY single frequency available to the human ears to modulate and modify... :) <3

If your budget is around 400$ get yourself a pair of rokits! They are truly amazing for a budget price. Something that you will find use that lasts for ages if used right! :P They are VERY accurate too. Obviously nothing like JBL and their 3500$+ speakers but still they get the job done very well! I still would want personally a JBL set of monitors :'D thats my dream... hahahaha

I have 2 6" rokits and I am very experienced with frequency and you can hear and feel from 0-20,000hz. The thing is though, is that 1 hz is soo weak and such a small modulation in sub that you can barely even humanly naturally hear or feel it... its actually rather good to have a little tiny bit of sub from the 15-20 hz region, simply because it adds wider body to the bass. If you add too much though it can and WILL take out the entire body of the main sub bass you are looking for and make it splotchy and lighter.

But yeah subs actually can and do ruin the true sound of what you need. In a club or any proffesional setting their speakers are set up to be 1 subwoofer, 1 midrange speaker, and 1 treble range speaker. All accurately reading the hell out of every single frequency every single moment it comes in! In the end rokits are the best for the lowest budgets out there! I always say if you are going to upgrade why go even in the middle quality of speakers, just go with the highest end, jbl or yamaha, but still. I am a firm believer that if you want truly the most ACCURATE sound EVER, you MUST create your own speaker from scratch or spend thousands of dollars just to get 1 single accurate signal monitor set!

^^

wut-du-fuq.jpg

If your budget is around 400$ get yourself a pair of rokits! They are truly amazing for a budget price. Something that you will find use that lasts for ages if used right! :P They are VERY accurate too. Obviously nothing like JBL and their 3500$+ speakers but still they get the job done very well! I still would want personally a JBL set of monitors :'D thats my dream... hahahaha

Ummmm.... I purchased a pair of JBL LSR's for AU430.... not that expensive. They are also reasonably flatter than the Rokits too.

lmao this again? please... just read it. its full of information.. it will make sense when you understand what it means and if you read it slowly and carefully. LOL... kinda a bummer when people dont take the genuine effort to read longer, stronger bodied responses.. Thats just pure laziness...not being a dick. Just kinda lame, i take soo much time to type up a post, that one simple easy sentence for you wont work for the entire meaning that im trying to represent.

My short answer for those who really seriously dont want to put in the EASY effort of just in depth reading something. Get yourself a pair of only studio monitors. They give you the most accurate sound. Also 0-50hz are very important. You dont want to lose 0-50hz because thats really important... also for low budget krks are some of the best! There that more simple for you to read? jeeze... theres soo much left out too thats important.. lol

More technical explanations ARE CERTAINLY NOT brief whatsoever. Sorry man thats just how it is. To properly explain out something even for monitors it may take me paragraphs to show you in detail and depth... If you didnt understand, sorry but thats not bad writing or a lot of writing on my part that you didnt put in enough genuine effort and time to actually read what i wrote pertaining to sound physics.

Happy producing all! :) No hard feelings

Last edited:
Dude take a joke.. For future reference, i don't read your posts so save yourself from typing massive replies (y)

Dude take a joke.. For future reference, i don't read your posts so save yourself from typing massive replies (y)

well me reacting that way is naturally from a lot of people not being able to "decipher" my complex codes called writing in the past when i first started out on these forums lmaooo... haha just saying

so really, all you are trying to say is: buy monitors with a better range, i.e. the 8" monitors I was referring to in my initial post?

thanks for the recommendation on the krk's but theyre really not for me. Ive listened to them for a long enough time to decide they to not give an accurate enough representation of the music to be relied upon in a production setting.

MAATTTEEE your gasssing again. the frequency response on rokit 6's it 49hz - 20,000hz ..... how on earth you can hear & feel from 0hz all the way up is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom