• Both

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • None - Fuck being a DJ!

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

sdm

This is Dog Fort
VIP Junglist
While at a local drinking establishment, Tirple and I were discussing the pro's and con's of using the left and right ears to monitor with..

..So we decided to stick up a poll on this subject to find out which is more widely used among DJs!

Just to clarify; By monitor ear, I mean the ear you have the headphone on while you are queuing the next tune.

An example: (HEADPHONE) LEFT EAR --- RIGHT EAR

I would class this example as being someone who monitors with their left ear.

Get voting :spliff:

freeagent

Almost 30
VIP Junglist
Left, but at some clubs they have the monitors in funny unmoveable places, so I adapt. Actually, me preferred method is split cue with the cued record in the left and master in the right - a real life saver when there is NO monitor!

klusta

Pulsar
VIP Junglist
prefer right, can do with left or just listen to the sound given out by the needle itself without going through the mixer

Caution

dnbforum.com
VIP Junglist
Either really....

Just depends on the set up of the booth.

At home I have my main monitor in the middle of my decks as its the only place I can fit it in my room.

Affliction

VIP Junglist
depends on the booth, but i usually prefer right ear.... equally happy mixing with left though

Time Dependant

Jungle Hunter
VIP Junglist
I normally use both because I've got 2 monitors set out on the left & right so it doesn't really matter to much for me.

jay walker

1/2 of Passive/Aggressive
VIP Junglist
Glued to the right ear, slightly towards the back - dont even take it off in the mix.

But gotta switch it to suit the environment when needed!

Mulla

Digital Future
VIP Junglist
At home I use my right ear as my 'monitor' ear, but thats only cos thats how my decks and speakers are set up. Dont really have a preference.

Gotta big up my mate tho, hes deaf in one ear and has to do everything with his left ear!!!

cK

i want to play a game...
Prefer left, but playing out, on often shit systems... gotta adapt

CoB

Pure Sanelessness
VIP Junglist
i always go left.. even at home when my speakers are set up on the left side of me... i still need the phones on my left ear..
my right ear feels really wierd having a headphone on it, and i feel like a dick, like everyone would look at me funny hahaha.. anyway..

Affliction

VIP Junglist
CoB said:
i always go left.. even at home when my speakers are set up on the left side of me...
i always have the headphone on the same side as the monitor... can't work it the other way :burn:

moriaty

VIP Junglist
depends on my haircut, and on which ear ive got more wax... :saber:

left...<<<< :fag:

Last edited:

temper_d

Offkey
I generally use my right...its my left ear that is more fucked though...

Thing is though, at home i mix at such quiet volumes that a lot of the time i'm listening to the sound coming off the actual vinyl and don't even use the headphones that much!