Monitor advice

Skuff

VIP Junglist
I know that this has been asked over and over, but I need to get some monitors (currently using Tanoy Reveals, which are fine for mixing, but not so good for production as they lack in the high end, so I end up over compensating) Anyways, I've been recommended these http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_hs50m_bundle.htm and was wondering if anyone else had any experience with them?

Yamaha monitors are some of the best out there, they are pretty much the industry standard.

That's an extremely good deal for the price.

I thought price was good too, cheaper than anywhere else i have found so far.. Reckon I'll go for them then

I don't have any experience with the HS50's I hear there good though.

Thomanns can be a bit dodge sometimes though, I bought a desk from them, they shipped it from germany where they are based and only the surfaces turned up. I made a complaint and they sent the frames again which finally got there but looked like they were used, I suspect they were ex demo as the screws and wholes were a bit rusty.

Wasn't to happy with them to be honest. Check out some reviews before purchasing.

Yamaha monitors are some of the best out there, they are pretty much the industry standard.

That's an extremely good deal for the price.

I don't really think thats 100% accurate but i've heard a few good things about those particular ones.

Depending on your budget potentially worth looking at some Adams / Genelecs.

Yamahas are known for their flat frequency response.
I suspect most people have heard the say 'if it sounds good on these it will sound good on anything'. I have used a pair before and they give an honest representation of your work.
However I found it difficult to judge the lower frequencies but this may have been due to using them in an untreated room. The HSM80's provide a good bass response though.

I've heard a lot of good things about Genelecs although they are a big pricey I seem to remember.
I use a pair of mackie HR (can't remember the exact model) when I collaborate with a friend of mine and they are well detailed. They can be quite flattering sometimes though so its good to crossreference on as many different systems as possible.

I use my HD25s as a reference as well as I am so used to them. I prefer to use them especially when adjusting my kicks so that the tails won't conflict with other elements within my mix as well.

Yamahas are known for their flat frequency response.
I suspect most people have heard the say 'if it sounds good on these it will sound good on anything'. I have used a pair before and they give an honest representation of your work.
However I found it difficult to judge the lower frequencies but this may have been due to using them in an untreated room. The HSM80's provide a good bass response though.

I've heard a lot of good things about Genelecs although they are a big pricey I seem to remember.
I use a pair of mackie HR (can't remember the exact model) when I collaborate with a friend of mine and they are well detailed. They can be quite flattering sometimes though so its good to crossreference on as many different systems as possible.

I use my HD25s as a reference as well as I am so used to them. I prefer to use them especially when adjusting my kicks so that the tails won't conflict with other elements within my mix as well.

The Yamaha flat response thing (if we're talking about the same thing) is normally aimed at the NS10s which were the studio monitor of choice for a long time, and are still used extensively. However i dont know of anyone in drum and bass who mixes primarily with NS10s.

Mackie HR824s are used by a lot of producers (mostly the original versions, haven't heard any good reviews of the V2s to be honest) which might be what your mate has. Sub response on them is wicked, however you might have difficulty getting hold of some as they are no longer being manufactured as far as i know.

As for the Genelecs ive only heard a few of them, which were fairly pricey, but really liked the sound of them. Not as flat as a lot of monitors though.

Thanks for the replys.. If it was last year, then the budget would of been whatever the best ones cost, but as I got made redundant a few months back, I've really gotta watch the pennies.. So was looking between £250-£300 which isn't great I know.. Was recommended the Yamaha's by a mate, but wanted to get a few more opinions before I make the leap.. Started looking at reviews, but online ones can be a bit biased..

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys.. If it was last year, then the budget would of been whatever the best ones cost, but as I got made redundant a few months back, I've really gotta watch the pennies.. So was looking between £250-£300 which isn't great I know.. Was recommended the Yamaha's by a mate, but wanted to get a few more opinions before I make the leap.. Started looking at reviews, but online ones can be a bit biased..

If you are on a budget, and you just want to make dance music in an untreated studio, these will do you fine -

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/m-audio-bx5-d2-active-studio-monitors--90875

Im friends with Benny Page and he has been using these for years, if you can get a pair, they are great for DNB -

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipme...1-active-studio-reference-monitors-pair--9490

You don't need to spend big bucks

If you are on a budget, and you just want to make dance music in an untreated studio, these will do you fine -

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/m-audio-bx5-d2-active-studio-monitors--90875

Im friends with Benny Page and he has been using these for years, if you can get a pair, they are great for DNB -

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipme...1-active-studio-reference-monitors-pair--9490

You don't need to spend big bucks

Cheers man.. I was looking at those m audio ones, and have seen those in the flesh and was very impressed with the sound tbh, but wasn't sure on them as they must be cheap for a reason?

Cheers man.. I was looking at those m audio ones, and have seen those in the flesh and was very impressed with the sound tbh, but wasn't sure on them as they must be cheap for a reason?

Well, they are still £200, so they aren't exactly "cheap". They are still decent, a lot better than hifi speakers.

Remember, your making dance music in a room in your house ( I assume ), you don't really need high end monitors for that! As long as they have a fairly flat response, which they do, you will be fine.

Well I had a studio built last summer in my garden mate, so it's not just a little set up.. But after forking out for the building, and buying new pioneer 900s and a new pc, I thought I'd try and make my old speakers do, but after having someone check them out the other day, and confirming that there is a problem with the high end on them, I've decided I need something better

Well I had a studio built last summer in my garden mate, so it's not just a little set up.. But after forking out for the building, and buying new pioneer 900s and a new pc, I thought I'd try and make my old speakers do, but after having someone check them out the other day, and confirming that there is a problem with the high end on them, I've decided I need something better

Cool. It's just you said your budget was £250 to £300, so I was ones suggesting in that price range.

Cool. It's just you said your budget was £250 to £300, so I was ones suggesting in that price range.

Yeah nice one. Think it's gonna be between the yamahas and the 2 you suggested, so it's just picking the best ones out of those 3.. The allesis ones look like they have a good frequency range

I have a pair of the Alesis M1 Actives and they're fine, but personally i dont particularly like producing on them. Quite nice for listening though.

As for KRKs i really don't like the sound.

Heard the budget KRK's can sound a bit boxy? That was in a sound on sound review...

Hmm, well I purchased my krk's about 3 weeks ago from a professional music store here in Essex. Before I made the decision I must have been in the store for a good couple of hours comparing various brands and the sound qualities! For me, the Rokit 6's were by far the standout of the bunch!

But I guess it all boils down to personal choice!

Yes the rokit 6 were the ones I was looking at as they ain't too far over budget.. Did they chuck anything in with the deal you got? As I was looking at going to that pmt place but I'll need the leads and vibro pads too

Back
Top Bottom