money money money

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by dbosson153, Apr 7, 2006.

1. dbosson153

dbosson153 debs

oi oi,
    random question that's been playing on my mind, mow much do dj's make in the money department? how much would say, the great mr andy c charge for a set?
    been puzzling me! help un puzzle me!
    cheers

2. BeyondTherapy

BeyondTherapy Well-Known Member

just depends on night ie week or weekend and also size of event i spose ......
    id say anything from a 3 figure sum too a 4 figure sum [ inc exspenses ]

ok seems alot in a few peoples eyes but on the scale of people wanting to see them "do there thing" biznes wise his name or most djs pull in a serious crowd so they can rightfully ask good money ... promoters will also pay good money out aswell.....cause what u put in is what over 75% of the time u get back...yes people do make money but id hate to see there taxes ....... lol .......

hence those cheeky white labels quick 500 press here n there that the taxman doesnt need to know about can fiance afew more nice things .....

:bone:

3. kryptix

kryptix Hardcore Munglist

i'd say someone like andy c or groove or hype etc easily make over a grand a set regardless what day of the week, but the returns for promoters when you stick someone like that on your bill.........:cool:

4. sparkyc10

sparkyc10 Kentish Junglist

For a 1 hour set on a friday night i was quoted these rough prices for the below DJs. It can vary depending on the location, venue, other DJs playing on the night, venue capacity, ticket price for event etc but these are some rough figures.

DJ Dready £50
    Generation Dub £350
    Nicky Blackmarket £540
    Q-Project £600
    DJ Fresh £850

if your running an event be grateful for these dnb DJ prices. ive heard some scary figures for other genres... people like tiesto will draw in just about every trance head in the world but will sting you for at least £25,000 for an hour set

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  5. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

Yeh i tried asking andy how much he earnt at the Nightlife 3 launch at the end. He would'nt say, so its gotta be shiteloads.
    G Dub are quite Cheap. Has anyone heard them play out?

6. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Hype & Pendulum are quoted at 2000 quid but I doubt anybody actually pays that. Still over a grand.

7. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

A lot of promoters will get teh price down by booking them for several events...I know Revolution do that...I supose you don't get a good pension plan though...arf arf

8. kryptix

kryptix Hardcore Munglist

fair play all of the dj's we have booked i would consider big names e.g. silent witness, rohan, resonant evil and they are all very well priced, you do get the sense that they're doing it for the love as well as the wedge and not just going thru the motions like some of the more expensive guys

9. Dj SmurFiE

Dj SmurFiE Tha Muffin men crew

im surprised at how much q project is

10. BeyondTherapy

BeyondTherapy Well-Known Member

i used to work at home leister square london back in the day b4 the cops shut it down .....

home used to pay serious money ... i heard 25000 for a 2 hr set on new yr only cause cream wanted him same time !!! peak time ,he played 2 hrs at home 12-2 then rumoured to had gone to play at cream lol ... ching ching

if names bring the punters in and the money in then to right why shouldnt that dj be paid good .........

if its done propa i dont have a problem with it ... its when there paid in cash £300+ for a set and hmm back pocket ... if they pay there taxes 40% trust me on there salaries hahaha then there making good money not as good as people make out .... just say there retirement will be good if the coke /drink n dope habits are controlled ahhaha

the habit with that life style is > you have to spend it ??

flash wank shit ????? most people that earn serious dough spend it !!!! asap !!! hmm each to there own i spose .............

:D

11. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

thats about right though

hes been around for ages and churns out loads of tunes!

he should definatlely be earing more than ncky blckmrkt!

12. zoob

zoob Nine Bar SS.

Seems an awful lot for Nicky blackmarket, Andy used to be a smooth £1k. Think he's gone up 800 or so in the last few months.

I remember when Friction was 150-200 a few years back, he's sailing in around 600-800 mark now ani't he.

most of names like fresh, swift, adam f generally fall just shy of the grand mark.

Paul oakenfold got £100k for his millenium set.

Carl cox is £30k , stadium only.

Dave clarke who we are looking at just now is about £3k or so, but thats five star hotels, luxury car, and business class flights on top.

13. Dj SmurFiE

i spose, but nicky has been around longer (i have a tune of his that was released early 92 - called spam or something), also i think nicky has done more for DnB that q project.............but thats a differnt topic all together.

it pisses me off that trance and house Djs like tiesto get so much money, when tbg they are nothing speicial in terms of their Dj skill. An exception to that is probably carl cox, hes a don, but only because he use to mix hardcore.

14. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

i dont really see an amazing mix technique when it comes to house/trance. Its usually a coupla cuts on the cross fader then a switch. There aint no double drops an ting! :teeth:

15. Dj SmurFiE

^ yea thats right, when DnB started to get a bit shit i started mixin' speed garage (think i was the only one, all the other DnB heads went to grime!) the mixin' is really simple, you usually mix the tunes for about a min at the most then switch it, its pretty easy, although you cant make any adjustments once ya in the mix coz it'll sound absoloutly shit.