Money In dnb

Dj Jammin

VIP Junglist
Saw a thread similar to this on dnba. Got me thinking.... Is there alot of money to be made in dnb? Do most producers get their money from dj'ing? and is it true that most records run at a loss o_O

It seems like you have to produce good, well known tunes to get recognition from agencys/promoters before you can get any major bookings (ie Slammin, One Nation, Breakin etc)
However there are a few DJs out there who do not produce but just get good recognition for their skills and getting there name about through pirate radio/posting up mixes (ie Mr Coshh :2thumbs: )
It seems like if you want to make money in DnB, you have to spend a bit of money as well (buying studio equipment)
There may be a loss for the whole vinyl thing. Its down to a few factors really,
Such as digital sales and does your tune appeal to a wide selection of people? Therfore will it sell well and how quick will you gain your investment back.
Also if you start a label and you decide to distribute your music yourself, you have to go to a majority of record shops all around the country (whom may not even want to buy your tunes, even on sale or return) and then a few months later chase some of those shops up for payment, which can be a long daunting process and may also cost you a fair bit in travel expenses. Some shops might even close down and scarper without even paying you a penny. Its a big risk to take if you do it yourself.
However you could get a distribution company to distribute your music for you ( LOAD Media are pretty good for taking on fresh unknown labels). This is probably the wiser option, but you would not make as much profit as you would if you distributed for yourself, as the distributors take a percentage per unit of vinyl sold.
Hope thats given you a small insight mate. BTW you heard that Nu:Tone remix of "Feelings"? I know the original is a favourite of yours.

I haven't heard that yet actually.. is it out yet?? i've wondered when a remix of feelings was gonna come out.

fuck all money in it until you make it big..and i mean A list.. most DJ's have jobs as well...

Only producing...

a lot of name DJs do have day jobs 'in the industry', in labels, studios, record shops, agencies etc.

For example Hazard? he wouldn't have a day job would he?

no i would say he is A list these days... He worked ina record shop for a long time though.

Most people we deal with at work bar the big names all have jobs or make extra cash doing other things (be it legal or illegal ;) )

Also most smaller record labels struggle to make a profit..its hard!..

its the same in most scenes tho, not just dnb! top tier reap the fruits while the upn coming/not so top tier struggle (until that big tune u make just happens to happen)

It might be a good thing if there's no money to be had in dnb. The underground electronic music scene is fraught with tons of copyright and other intellectual property issues. Public performance, derivative works, etc. All the samples and remixes of famous artists you've heard, or even dnb artists, if the stuff started making tons of money, all these heads would scream infringement and sue, prolly having a huge effect on the scene. -IMO-

Was Hype given any trouble when he remixed the Fugee's "Ready or Not" tune? Someone asked him that in a DOA interview, and he said "next question please." :confused:

Zinc’s Super Sharp Shooter sent waves around the rave scene and indeed the music industry as a whole when it was put out at the end of ’95. Fugees Or Not (Ready Or Not remix) gained a similar response last summer, but rumours began spreading that the person responsible for the tune was being sued. Although slightly reluctant to reveal all, my powers of persuasion won through and Hype gave me the lowdown. It goes like this… 500 promos were put out, but a disagreement with someone in the scene led to the track being deleted. By this point, the tune was already massive and everybody wanted a copy. Sony cottoned on to the remix and threatened to sue Hype, who argued that Zinc only intended the tune to go out on dub plate and not on general release. Content with this, Sony decided to put the track out themselves, but only if it had The Fugees’ seal of approval first. Whilst awaiting The Fugees’ reply, someone bootlegged the tune and it was soon on general release in places like HMV and Our Price. The shady dealer put another mix on the flip and attributed it to Hype. It was apparently terrible and you’d expect, Hype was none too impressed. Sony dropped the whole matter. “The official story is that The Fugees heard it, liked the track, felt that there wasn’t enough of the vocal on it and subsequently they didn’t go with it. But it’s opened their eyes to jungle, they love it and Goldie's going to be doing the next mix. That’s what the guy at Sony told me anyway”.

http://www.fantazia.org.uk/DJs/hype.htm

Back
Top Bottom