Modulating Parameters that change volume

Discussion in 'Production' started by tewky1, Sep 30, 2014.

1. tewky1

tewky1 Well-Known Member

When you modulate certain things that start to adjust the relative levels of your sounds, what is the best way to rectify this?

Is this a job for compression? Do you have to start with modulating volume manually?

Basic e.g. You have some OD, where you modulate the wet/dry or OD Gain, it starts to mess with your levels untreated and can cause problems in the mix of your tune.

I have tried to mess around with compression(probably my problem I reckon, messing without proper knowledge), but cant to rectify the peaks made by introducing the extra volume from doing so.

Am I just getting my setting wrong on the compressor or am I missing something that I should be doing to help this?

Ta muchly

2. DYSRUPT

DYSRUPT Active Member

I would add a utility plug in and automate the gain as well. you could use a limiter and/or compressor, but you wouldn't want to "brick wall" the sound and add troubles in the mix down later.

tewky1 likes this.
  3. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

^ can never be assed doing that. i always use zero-attack high release compression, does the job just fine. just need a transparent compressor and find the best sounding ratio-threshold. High ratio buss compressors work really well.

tewky1 likes this.
  4. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Wtf is OD?

- - - Updated - - -

Overdrive?

- - - Updated - - -

If im understanding correctly, you are modulating an overdrive gain and you're wondering why your levels are going up and down? :teeth:

5. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

completely misunderstood, he just means controlling bass peaks

6. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

oh, well i sort that even easier by bouncing, then chopping up the quiet bits and gaining them. LPX is sick for that as it actually increases the wave form in the sample - obviously i mean using the Gain in the Inspector

7. tewky1

tewky1 Well-Known Member

Yeah I know the volume is going up and down :) Was just looking for ways and means of controlling that, whilst still reatin the added sizzle got from pushing the dfive up a bit.