Modulating of Bass - Give an example

tewky1

VIP Junglist
Hi Guys

Really getting buried in the whole bass thing, and thought it might be interesting to see how others do things in there bass.

My offer is something to be used with Sampler in Ableton live.

I get my bass sample, with a good range of frequency content, and make 2 instances of sampler loading the sample into each one. On each sample I setup the filter to a low pass, maybe around 100hz. The first sampler I leave like this, so it will just play the low passed signal below 100hz for the sub layer. Now on the 2nd Sampler I now create an instance of an auto filter on the chain, I set this to a high pass, around the 100hz mark, I may just bring it up slightly to avoid crossover freq's. Now on the 2nd Sampler I now go to the midi tab, and I set desitnation A of the Velocity to Filter Freq, and Amount A upto 100%.
Now I write in a bass sequence into the Midi lane of Sampler 1, and copy it over to Sampler 2.
So we have our Sub layer which is always coming through, and now we can modulate the 2nd Sampler to open up the filter to allow the some of the high passed signal through. To adjust how the filter works with the sound you adjust the velocity sliders under each midi note, the lower these are the less of the 100Hz+ signal comes through. If you play about with them a bit you can create some really nice textures.

I used in on my track Encounters, to get the (to my ears) nice full round sound of the bass. Its a pretty simple idea, and I guess the sorts of thing I am looking for from others. Doesnt have to be an essay onsome crazy resampling, just a nice little tip for some element of bass manipulation.

Last edited:
i split 3 ways do my effects, bounce down but i leave the 3 bands muted, because they can always come in handy for some bar long fill effects or such, like a break from the main bass (as as u would with the drums if you get me)

Hi Guys

Really getting buried in the whole bass thing, and thought it might be interesting to see how others do things in there bass.

My offer is something to be used with Sampler in Ableton live.

I get my bass sample, with a good range of frequency content, and make 2 instances of sampler loading the sample into each one. On each sample I setup the filter to a low pass, maybe around 100hz. The first sampler I leave like this, so it will just play the low passed signal below 100hz for the sub layer. Now on the 2nd Sampler I now create an instance of an auto filter on the chain, I set this to a high pass, around the 100hz mark, I may just bring it up slightly to avoid crossover freq's. Now on the 2nd Sampler I now go to the midi tab, and I set desitnation A of the Velocity to Filter Freq, and Amount A upto 100%.
Now I write in a bass sequence into the Midi lane of Sampler 1, and copy it over to Sampler 2.
So we have our Sub layer which is always coming through, and now we can modulate the 2nd Sampler to open up the filter to allow the some of the high passed signal through. To adjust how the filter works with the sound you adjust the velocity sliders under each midi note, the lower these are the less of the 100Hz+ signal comes through. If you play about with them a bit you can create some really nice textures.

I used in on my track Encounters, to get the (to my ears) nice full round sound of the bass. Its a pretty simple idea, and I guess the sorts of thing I am looking for from others. Doesnt have to be an essay onsome crazy resampling, just a nice little tip for some element of bass manipulation.

This is pretty much how i am doing it at the moment, just taking my first steps into production, i learnt this same technique from the Fracture Drum & Bass course from music-courses.com

This is pretty much how i am doing it at the moment, just taking my first steps into production, i learnt this same technique from the Fracture Drum & Bass course from music-courses.com

Yeah I think that is where I first saw it. Neat little course, but only gives us a little chunk to digest :)

I am trying to get into resampling, kept producing whispy airy sounds and not drak and knarly sounds. I think I have had a little break through with some resampling. But still so much to go into with that.

tewky1 are you applying your Auto Filter as a separate effect at the end your effects chain rather than using the filter within Sampler itself?

If you use Absynth (A.K.A. If you have testicles and are considered by most people to be a "cool guy") then check this video, has a bunch of cool ideas for bass resampling (albeit a bit disjointed, as are the rest of this guys vids, but they're all legit)

Last edited by a moderator:
tewky1 are you applying your Auto Filter as a separate effect at the end your effects chain rather than using the filter within Sampler itself?

On the first sampler is just the low end freq's, then on the 2nd Sampler I put an Auto filter after it just to set the high pass, so no low freq's come over the low layer. The modulation is being done by opening the low pass filter on the Sampler, sometimes for shits and giggles, and a bit of a different sound, I might make the 2nd sampler a different filter style than Low Pass. Band Pass probably the other one I use most when playing around.

Another cool thing I like about the Sampler is the Osc feature, where you can add in another osc over your sample, nice for adding in some extra content to filter out again ha!

I will upload something I have done, its only a break with the bass part I have sequenced out. Spent about 6 hours one day just playing around with a nice sample from the BlokHe4d pack, Called Womb1 I think. All the bass sounds except the short note right before any drops, came from this one sample. I just kept playing with filters, until I came out with something nice, then bounced it. I tried to keep everything in neat little freq ranges, but wasnt too anal about it, as I did a bit more work with the layers when mixing them together. I had 4 bands I tried to fit everything in. 0-200, 200-1.5k, 1.5k to 4k, 4k+. It might sound pretty basic, but pretty happy with the results.

Just found this, watching at work so i have no sound, looks fairly similar way to using modulation with in Abletons Sampler but using the loop start. Might be worth a look when i get home with some sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok here is some sampling work I did and put together a bass of sorts ha!

Did I get anything good going here? Tunes I am digging and trying to recreate the vibes of are like, Foreign Concept - Jaipur(villem one), June Miller Turning Point, Audio - Abyss and Recluse, Alix Perez - Menacing ways. Just that dark techy roller sound, floating my boat, putting a pep in my step, not looking to copy them per say, but try to get some of that vibe they have.

Back
Top Bottom