Drum & Bass Modern - Where I Need To Be (demo)

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by modern, Jul 13, 2012.

1. modern

modern Member

2. Skuff

Skuff Well-Known Member

Def got potential.. Nice and happy.. Not sure on the hats in the beginning, think something even simpler would work better, also think that the synth that comes in on the drop would sound good side chained to hell..

3. Bad Ace

Bad Ace Close2Death

agree with realskuff. love the pianos man. on the drop id have that synth sidechained like 4x4 style!!!!!!!!! nice work man

4. modern

modern Member

thanks for the comments! did what you said, and added a new link. so hopefully, i've gotten a bit further

cheers, guys

5. Skuff

Skuff Well-Known Member

Only on laptop now, but that sounds much better.. :bone:

6. modern

modern Member

:banana:

7. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

wicked tune man! needs some eqing as some elements seem to be clashing and the drums are well too quiet and need to hit the right frequencies a bit better but apart from that really like this!

8. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

I sat down and listen to all of your tracks. You do pretty so well. When you use the piano your songs are great. You just really need to work on making all your sounds come together better.

9. modern

modern Member

Wow, man. Thanks for all your comments. That was the extra encouragement I've been needing to keep on producing. I'll take your advice on my tracks, about remixing etc.

Btw, to your question on "Modern - Muaha!" I use FL 9 and FL 10.

10. modern

modern Member

Thanks, man :) I'll take your advice, because I've been wondering about those things. Thanks, again for listening. :D

11. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

Damn! I wish I could give you some better advice. However, I do not know the program. Any way your mixing ability "right now" is no good. Your music ability is great! Just stay the cousre and remember that a good mix is 80% of the battle.

12. modern

modern Member

FL studio. Fruity Loops studio, haha. Thanks for the honesty with the mix, appreciate that. The final edit is up for it. Did some more mastering, etc. Hopefully it sounds better.

13. nusphere

nusphere Member

the plinki piano sounds great! I think there's a bit of a battle for the low mids in this tune.

14. modern

modern Member

I'll try and fix that when I do the full version, thanks for the feedback, nu

15. W3st

W3st Unsigned DnB Producer

hmmmmmm

well, track is nice, cool melodics, decent energy in the build, but try something other than the typical kick build (ie WN risers + detuned saw risers, or automating the detune on the saw riser as it is pitched up with autoed verb) guess im looking for more synth builds as opposed to percussion builds as seen in every other track.

this could be cool done with some sampled breaks in the intro, a la fred v and grafix (check out long distance by them)

apart from that, the usual shit: drum work- i think the kicks are to clicky... try eqing out some of the click and adding in more bass and roundness by layering a bass heavy kick with a less bassy, more middy kick and eqing + transient shaping to add that oomph and then compressing on a separate bus channel to taste.

snares need to be louder, and I would recommend doing so not by boosting in eq, but by transient shaping, eq cutting in the basslines and synth bus channels and other heavy elements in the drop. (try shaping the song around the drums not vice versa, this can help - i think)

melodies are nice tho! sorry im just really trying to be nitpicky cause this song is really sick. plus its a demo so if its perfect, the better.

eh i think you get it, just keep working at it bud, lemme know if you want me to check it out again some time, cheers!

16. modern

modern Member

Wow, thanks. This has given me a lot more to think about. I'll definitely take your advice on the drums, and intro etc. Because, I know it's boring, and doesn't quite spark as much as it could. The criticism, is good, but telling me actually how to do it - thanks a lot, man. Really. (y)