Mixing without headphones

Demshy

I recently watched Amit 'Live' on D&BTV 161 and he does his entire mix without using headphones. I'm pretty sure he's using Ableton Live for his whole 'Live' performance, but how does anyone mix without using headphones? He's just looking at his laptop and using a controller. I've seen other DJs do this too in different genres. Do they pre-record a set and then edit it live? If so that seems like a poor way of DJ'ing. If anyone knew more then I'd love to know.

His set starts at 1 Hour 40 here:

During his set if you watch what he's doing he's just randomly touching the faders and knobs. Doesn't even seem to do anything everytime he does it!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be pre-recorded not watched the video however, a mate of mine did a technics dj course in London a few years back and one of the techniques they taught him was mixing without headphones.

Never really asked him how they taught him to do it but I would imagine its just a lot to do with knowing your tunes well enough and cutting the incomming track in at a low level until you know you've got it locked.

If you practiced enough I imagine it would become quite easy to do however, could sound messy so I wouldn't bother unless you have broken your headphones or left them at home and no one will borrow you theirs.

Could be pre-recorded not watched the video however, a mate of mine did a technics dj course in London a few years back and one of the techniques they taught him was mixing without headphones.

Never really asked him how they taught him to do it but I would imagine its just a lot to do with knowing your tunes well enough and cutting the incomming track in at a low level until you know you've got it locked.

If you practiced enough I imagine it would become quite easy to do however, could sound messy so I wouldn't bother unless you have broken your headphones or left them at home and no one will borrow you theirs.

*Lend.

Twat!

:teeth:

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

On good ol' fashioned turntables you can beatmatch off the noise coming from the carts.

What about in a club? Not being a smart arse or anythin as I've never mixed in a club but surely the monitors would be far too loud for you to hear the carts? Also on a club soundsystem there is going to be quite a bit of a delay, where as the sound coming from the carts would be practicly instant.

Lol you can always hear the carts no matter how loud. Also they film him using ableton so not sure what the point of this thread was. Makes me want to buy it though...maybe Demshy works for ableton who knows.

The important thing is when you use some software, you can usually see waveforms and lock the tempo, so you don't really need headphones to mix, especially if you know the tunes well.

Can anyone remember a video of one of the big trance guys mixing without earphones, well not quite mixing more clanging and cutting, it had loads of fireworks going of and he plays the skatman tune? Can't remember the buggers name?

If you are using software it is possible to mix without headphones :) The beats are shown visually, I want to mix with headphones though, just need an external soundcard...

The mix in my sig is done through VDJ with a Hercules Midi Controller, no headphones.

Don't attack me for using software ;) Its how I learnt and vinyl or cdjs are to much! :lol:

If you are using software it is possible to mix without headphones :) The beats are shown visually, I want to mix with headphones though, just need an external soundcard...

The mix in my sig is done through VDJ with a Hercules Midi Controller, no headphones.

Don't attack me for using software ;) Its how I learnt and vinyl or cdjs are to much! :lol:

The first thing i think of when i see people mixing on a midi controller without headphones is a severe lack of dedication or interest. Not sure why, but thats the first thing that hits me.

numark DJIO is dirt cheap, so if your gonna use a little midi controller, at least do it right. Just my opinion though.

The important thing is when you use some software, you can usually see waveforms and lock the tempo, so you don't really need headphones to mix, especially if you know the tunes well.

Abelton is completely different, it's loops and quantised for the most part...

Can anyone remember a video of one of the big trance guys mixing without earphones, well not quite mixing more clanging and cutting, it had loads of fireworks going of and he plays the skatman tune? Can't remember the buggers name?

Tiesto, and it was a fake video.

Basically tunes are pre-synced or warped so the waveforms all match, then its just a case of lining the forms up on screen. More of a visual game than audio!? Bit of a cop out...

I feel you represent the future of djing and that we should murk you the first chance we get...

It's not because I'm not interested mate! I love a good mix ! :) I don't do live stuff, would wanna be on a proper set up...

The reason I use a midi controller is because of money and space. I am more passionate about making music so spend most of my cash on guitar stuff and I wanna get some decent monitors once I have saved some cash!

I do enjoy djing, not saying I am amazing, haven't heard all your guys skills but I'm sure you destroy me!

Jordan

---------- Post added at 01:52 ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 ----------

Sorry for the double post, on a phone.

I agree with some of your comments, tools have come out that allow djs to mix easier. I use these tools at home to enjoy myself, I understand why traditional vinyl users get annoyed seeing these people play out tunes with all this assistance!

I'm not trying to represent future djs :lol: and I don't fell you should murk me!

Surely though its cool that mixing is becoming more accessible and more people are getting the chance to have a go! :)

---------- Post added at 01:52 ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 ----------

Sorry for the double post, on a phone.

I agree with some of your comments, tools have come out that allow djs to mix easier. I use these tools at home to enjoy myself, I understand why traditional vinyl users get annoyed seeing these people play out tunes with all this assistance!

I'm not trying to represent future djs :lol: and I don't fell you should murk me!

Surely though its cool that mixing is becoming more accessible and more people are getting the chance to have a go! :)

I agree, the only thing that pisses me off about people who sit there with a laptop and a mouse using virtual dj is when they big themselves up and think theyre actually doing something amazing. Was chatting to jwood on fbook and he put it in the best words ive heard yet "dj'ing and mixing are 2 completly different things".

Back
Top Bottom