Mixing Using Upfaders???

I've watched a bit of Noize's DnB TV. The first thing I noticed is that he is using the main gains. I always leave them alone. Do I need to incorporate them into EQ mixing as well? What's the general consensus on this?

This is a must @ the main gain for each channel.

Tunes are mastered when they are pressed to vinyl so when a single track is playing through the speakers then I have the eq's set @ 0, I have never found any need to make adjustment to a track through the eq's when only a single track is playing.

I use the main gain to set the level when the full tune is playing (ie with bass etc) to just below the peak. I may flash red on the channel every so often, this is ok, but sometimes i then back of a little bit jst to ensure that im not pushing too hard. This level would be set with all eq's at 0 and set on the main gain using the idividual channel level meters.

There is two red lights one indicates peak, and one to show over. Only the first red light (peak) may flash every so often, never will i allow the 'over' light to come on nor allow the peak light to remain solid in colour, this would be pushing the tune too hard to early and would cause distortion even before its left the mixer.

During a mix i will back of the mids and trebles of the tune which has bass dominence. This varies slighty as to how much is backed off and also wether or not any mids or trebs should be added to the tune without bass dominance. Obviously this depends on tune. Almost complete bass cutting is necessary on one of the tracks at all time, mixing two basslines or only slightly cutting bass would end up flooding the system with bass and generally making a real messy mix. I have quite a substancial set of speakers so there is no risk of blowing them in my studio, but such could result in lesser systems when this approached is not taken.

Ohh and in regard to upfaders... That is all i use to mix, I have my crossfader isolated/unassigned.

Last edited:
true, even for cutting over fills from the quieter track i have more fun ripping one crossfader up and one down lol

recently i'v started mixing with both faders at maximum and just eq'ing one to be quiter, i think its ftw for some mixes !

As for the gains on each channel, the only reason I can see for using them is if you've got a dub from someone thats a lot quieter than comercialy cut and mastered tunes, small volume differences can be solved by using eqs.

Playing with gains on a big system isnt a good idea as your increasing the chances of feedback through turntables and a load of other problems.

One of the last nights I was running I had a DJ moaning that his headphones (or more importantly, MY headphones) were distorting, and his mix sounded awful. Had a wander over to the decks, turns out that he'd ignored my request to leave the gains, cranked them up silly high so the input signal was clipping constantly and distorting like nobodys business.

Being the sound engineer, I then get the strange looks for shit coming out of my speakers.

He then approaches me after my set, and says "how come your mixes sound loads clearer, cudnt really hear mine they were well muddy"

P.S - I know my mixes are in key. Do tunes in the same key still not go together sometimes?

Just because two tunes are in the same, or relative key, doesn't mean they'll go together...... The structuring of the tracks matters as much as the key does, for instance, if you're mixing a track with an on beat bline, against one with an offbeat bline, it could sound a bit 'cluttered'.

Either use similiary structured tracks, or wait for drops etc. Just experiment :D

basically, you should have started mixing using channel volume controls. it gives you a lot smoother transitions into and out of a mix. the crossfader can be too abrupt. as for eq's, i would just suggest reading up on frequency ranges a bit. that should help you identify where you need to eq tunes when they're mixed together and remember the golden rule with eq is take away rather than add to make frequencies more audible.

This man knows what he is talking about. Take his addvise and keep practising.

Back
Top Bottom