Mixing up the genres

rebeccasian

Hey boys and girls, what are your thoughts on mixing up different genres of electronica? Went to a Noisia gig awhile ago and in the middle of their neuro set they dropped the dirtiest, most amazing electro house tune I've heard... and it was fucking amazing! All the little jungle boys hated it lol but I thought it was incredible; innovative but at the same time so obvious?

Anyway, I've bought alot of house tunes (aswell as me dnb) for while I'm just learning to mix, because it's alot easier! And I've been mucking around with speeding up tunes till you can mix them with breaks, then turning breaks into dnb, and I recon it's phat but could also be a floor-emptier...

Your thoughts? (P.S. please no 'house is gay,' be usefull loves =p)

I've nown marky to drop a few electro tunes in his set, I remember him droppin flat beat an it went off big, but yeah switchin genres is a good idea, the same music for hours n hours can get boring, ive been droppin quite a bit of dubstep in my sets recently. It just makes a nice change, and gives people to chill for a while till you bring it back up.

that's what noisia do on thier fabric live cd, i like it. c&s have been known to do the same. generally producers who make music other than dnb aren't afraid to do it to showcase their talents. i personally like to drop a bit of elvis in toward the end of my sets, maybe even a bit of betty boop doing the do*

maybe even a bit of betty boop doing the do*

You ever heard the Bentley Rythm Ace mix on FSUK CD? Betty Boop Doin The Do mixed with Super Sharp Shooter!! Crazy mix but actually sort of sounds good! Defo bit different anyway!! So yeah think mixing up genres can be good but there is a very fine line between it sounding amazing and incredibly wank, its all about the right tune selection, good mixing and also people's reactions to it!!

if its good mixing, and the selection is nice, then there's no reason why not

on the other hand a bad example is TC latest set on here, goes dnb>>dubstep>>dnb
and when he brings the dnb back in he jus speeds up the dubstep track alot and fades it across, no beatmatcing, terrible mixing imo

if it works i fuckin love it, i'm a big fan of DJs who switch it up, keeps the dancers on their toes

Yeah I like it, not so much when they drop in dubstep (cos its a bit wank) but electro,garage or hip hop goes a bomb

ya there are certain ways to do it, can be really good! gonna do this when i play out next i think :)

Hey lil' sis. Ya know mixing up the different, it shows the diversity of the DJ. I think it is awsome when DJ's do that. I know i would take like break downs and cut it with alot Pink Floyd tracks. Maybe you might want to check into some hard-edge techno. maybe-just a thought lol . take care lil' sis !!

:rave:

Hey boys and girls, what are your thoughts on mixing up different genres of electronica? Went to a Noisia gig awhile ago and in the middle of their neuro set they dropped the dirtiest, most amazing electro house tune I've heard... and it was fucking amazing! All the little jungle boys hated it lol but I thought it was incredible; innovative but at the same time so obvious?

Anyway, I've bought alot of house tunes (aswell as me dnb) for while I'm just learning to mix, because it's alot easier! And I've been mucking around with speeding up tunes till you can mix them with breaks, then turning breaks into dnb, and I recon it's phat but could also be a floor-emptier...

Your thoughts? (P.S. please no 'house is gay,' be usefull loves =p)

hahaha!! HOUSE IS GAY!!! hahahah..... jokin.... yeh im always down for that stuff....... ive been known to play a few other bits in my sets.... mainly Ragga or Techno/Acid...... depending on what sort of set it is.....

i listen to everything... dnb is just a small part of what i listen too so i love mixing it with other genres

reggae, dancehall and dub go down a treat normally, as does hiphop :)

Back
Top Bottom