mixing tips

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by samtek, Apr 5, 2005.

1. samtek

samtek samtek inside the place

can anybody help plz ive been trying to mix for ages now still cant't get the hang of it has anyone got any tips on hows thanx

2. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Count: 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4 :)

Works wonders in weird situations.

Alternatively: bounce in time, tap your foot, nod your head and so on.

3. samtek

samtek samtek inside the place

ok thanx man its hard thou aint it

4. djstrategy

djstrategy New Member

samtek your doing k few more months with my help you will be able to get the hang of it

5. xes

xes not a junglist really.

I think the best tip is....don't give up.

Record your sets from when you first start learning,and keep recording. listen back to some of your old sets and you'll see a marked improvment.

Just keep going,perseverence in the key!!

You will get there,just takes time. But one day,it'll just click.

djstrategy get the :whipem: out :D

6. the_cheeky_scam

the_cheeky_scam ragamuffin biznizz

this worked for me...
    get two copies of the same record (preferably house), set them to the same pitch and practice dropping and keeping them in time.
    now get another (house) record and mix it into the first instead. don't use loads of different tunes, the familiarity of getting to know two tunes well makes it easier to notice when it's going out of time. once you've got it rockin' you can apply the technique to anything.

the only downside is having to buy 3 house records ;)

7. azonica

azonica Source / HQ

Keep Calm

Try and mix something with a more basic structure (i.e House) before moving onto dnb

8. deadaelus

deadaelus Laughter in the Slaughter

1 if you can count in time, drop in time.

What i mean by this is start mixing a track on a drop or a change up, this does require you are really familiar with the patterns and changes in the track. From that point just keep it in time. You'll know when it goes out of time, hence the sound of shoes in the dryer. (Note: this technique works real well if you have tracks that start with simple but heavy drum beats, or like suggested earlier use two of the same tune).

2 Remember that mixing is about timing!

Don't run your mixes very long at first, use a quick mix in and out style. Once you get better you can start overlapping your tracks a bit longer. (Once you lose a track it's really hard to bring it back in time without having it sound terrible.)

You'll figure out more as you abuse these little techniques. Stick with it and practice lots no matter how bad it may sound in comparrison to the Andy C mixes you've been listen' to.

9. traction

traction New Member

eat, sleep and breathe your vinyl :2thumbs:

getting the same sort of beats helps as well similiar bpm, same sort of breaks...

Keep doing it till you go mad, it will happen : )

10. xen

xen ...innit

Seconded - get to know your tracks REALLY well and you'll have a mental copy of the song in your head, how long it's gonna be until the breakdown, the transition etc... :D

An alternative to spinning house is to spin something like 4x4 UKG. Also, this could be something to try, get some software like PCDJ Red or Traktor, and get your ear tuned to beatmatching using that software. Only really works well if you have a good sound card (a 5.1 card that lets you have your headphones on the rear speakers while the front speakers give you the regular output) - but if you want to train your ears up without having to rewind, find the cuepoints every time on the records, it's a helluva lot less boring.

Of course, cueing up accurately and finding the cuepoints is also a big part of mix DJing, and you really, REALLY shouldn't neglect that skill. I just keep my ears 'tuned up' with a bit of fun Traktor DJing whenever I get bored but can't be arsed to get on the decks... And you can pitch lock all your favourite oldskool tracks and mix them in (Angels Fell at 180bpm? GENIUS)