Mixing technique question!

wartecs

ok, so i've been watching the recording of crissy criss @ warning cambridge trying to figure out how he gets his mixes done on 3 decks and can't seem to get my head around it. sometimes he mixes tunes so closely together that by mixing from 3 cdjs it is simply not possible, almost like there would be a 4th hidden deck somewhere but there isn't, here is the vid
Sometimes he would do the traditional doubledrop + teaser tune on the 3rd or 4th phrase but then after the bridge he would bring in a tune (or two different ones) at the right cue but without having to search for it before so it would be rightly cued for the second double drop.
i am almost certain he doesn't mix already homemade mashups of tunes, so there's gotta be another way. maybe saved cuepoints and/or pitched cds, sliced tunes. the reason i'm asking is i'm trying to learn to mix from 3 decks, but i dont play vinyl(i know, i'm a horrible person, i just can't afford it in eastern europe with our wages) so the traditional andy c technique is just a guideline and i wanted to check crissy to see how he does it since he also uses cds.
So any ideas, anybody who has been close enough to the man to have a look at his technique?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Chrissy is pretty underratred, its aint half bad imo, selction isnt amazing, but sure can mix

how do you save cue points on a cd though, or do you just have to burn from the point you want to start from?
Like chopping out a long intro..

how do you save cue points on a cd though, or do you just have to burn from the point you want to start from?

most high end modern CDJs have a save cue feature, you can save them on an SD card or USB stick or internal memory if the CDJ has it

I know Crissy edits tracks for playing out, like cutting out half the intro making double drops/teases quicker. I also know for a fact that he does not pre-pitch his CDs before that acusation starts getting thrown about :D

very under rated disc jockey

Thanks for the replies, my suspicions have been confirmed, although i like to keep my tunes pretty clean and unedited, it seems that when handling cdj in a fast pace you need to make those adjustments, since it's not so easy searching into a track like dropping the needle on record where you know that cue is. cdj's are not yet fast enough in the searching process to be able to accomplish that..

Thanks for the replies, my suspicions have been confirmed, although i like to keep my tunes pretty clean and unedited, it seems that when handling cdj in a fast pace you need to make those adjustments, since it's not so easy searching into a track like dropping the needle on record where you know that cue is. cdj's are not yet fast enough in the searching process to be able to accomplish that..

I guess with quick mixes / multiple drops... preparation is the key... i agree with the above, crissy criss is a quality dj but jus not my kind of selection, fair play to him tho man can mix!

I guess with quick mixes / multiple drops... preparation is the key... i agree with the above, crissy criss is a quality dj but jus not my kind of selection, fair play to him tho man can mix!

lol he's been mixing since he came out of his mothers womb so that also helps a bit. :) yeah I definitely recommend preparing in advance, all my DnB and dubstep tunes have all five available cue points set up in advance in Serato, makes going through the control vinyl that little bit easier... haven't got round to chopping tunes intro's, extending them etc for CDJ's yet but it's something that I'll probably do in the future...

with pioneer 2000's and 900's and piooner rekordbox software you can save cue points etc on tracks go to a club and hey presto 3 decks made easy (i have been told i havent actually used this myself) , i used to chop intros but feels like cheating but is the best explanation for crissys seriously SICK mixing

with pioneer 2000's and 900's and piooner rekordbox software you can save cue points etc on tracks go to a club and hey presto 3 decks made easy (i have been told i havent actually used this myself) , i used to chop intros but feels like cheating but is the best explanation for crissys seriously SICK mixing

doing it the rekordbox way also means no awkward moments when you reload a massive track and there isn't all of the intro because you've chopped the fuck out of it... just imagine if Crissy Criss pulled up link to the past when it was a dub and there was only a 16 bar build up to the first drop if you know what I mean...

Used to listen to his show on Kool Fm a few years ago...well talented dj. Always does great jungle sets. He looks quite subdued in that clip lol...

Great post mate!

doing it the rekordbox way also means no awkward moments when you reload a massive track and there isn't all of the intro because you've chopped the fuck out of it... just imagine if Crissy Criss pulled up link to the past when it was a dub and there was only a 16 bar build up to the first drop if you know what I mean...

this is what happens to Hazard, every time he reloads a tune its only a 16 bar intro

Back
Top Bottom