Mixing separate genres

Scatcat

It don't mean shit
VIP Junglist
Hey I saw Sub Focus other day, and the guy moves from dnb to house and then to dubstep and he does it perfectly. Does anyone know how to do this, or just a few tips it sounded brilliant.

Scatcat

im almost 100% certain that if you kill sub focus, and have sex with his corpse, you will gain the ability to do this.

if that doesnt work i have no idea

I'm pretty sure it has to do with timing and track selection. I think I remember reading somewhere that you can boost the volume of a slower tune to retain the energy of the mix but I don't know exactly how well that would really work. Just practice is my best advice for you, also tracks with changes in tempo would work too if you can find some good ones.

I've seen AC Slater live a couple of times and he always mixes from Electro to Dubstep to Electro and back to DUbstep
Its quite impressive

I've tried doing it myself and its fucking hard

Sorry I am no help...

Also seen and heard RUsko and Excision mix dubstep and DnB, but also have no clue how

Murdock (belgean dj) is also big in doin this.

Check out his album 'jungle fever volume 1' if you can find it somewhere. Its release was just 2009.
Quality mix album, i enjoyed it... I ordered a copy of it.

I just found this

Sounds like he just uses tracks that have a bit of silence before them

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe try to do something with the pitch in the one tune, in a moment with no drums or something, pitch it till you have a sound with the same height as your next tune, and bring the next tune in?

grtz

Its not that hard. You just need to practice. I have been playing anywhere from 4-6 different genres (not subgenres) in my sets lately.

Make sure you have all your tunes bpm'd correctly.

Try matching things that are half time or double time to make your transitions.

Find similar sounding tunes and plan your drops and you can make it work. Half time or Double time mixing is Key. (Hip hop at 90 bpm mixes very nice with dnb track at 176bpm) Don't forget you can move the pitch real slowly while its playing to make it work with your next drop. ex. 88bpm can become 79bpm if you carefully drop the pitch into the breakdown or slowly over the tune, then you are ready for more dubstep (pitched to 150bpm)

I really need to get a mix up here soon.

In the mean time locate any recent Matt the Alien mix - he really is at the top of this form.

Last edited:
^ Really great tips deadaelus

Thanks, would love to learn more about mixing this way

However, I have trouble identifying what is double time and what is half time.

I suppose if my bpm is saying 70 then it is half time and if it is saying 140 then it is regular time?

So to mix a track that is at 135bpm with one that is 70bpm I would have to find the happy medium, which would be either 67 1/2 or speed the other track up to 140bpm?
Am I on the right track here?

Last edited:
Its not that hard. You just need to practice. I have been playing anywhere from 4-6 different genres (not subgenres) in my sets lately.

Make sure you have all your tunes bpm'd correctly.

Try matching things that are half time or double time to make your transitions.

I believe the DJ Tutor has a number a videos up on YouTube demonstrating this method.

I just found this

(SUBFOCUS MINIMIX)

Sounds like he just uses tracks that have a bit of silence before them

You can't really compare minimixs as 99% won't be done in real time and made on some kind of sequencer.
Saying that sub focus does manage to move through genres smoothly in his dj sets

@ Krispy:
So to mix a track that is at 135bpm with one that is 70bpm
All you need to do is understand that a tune that reads as 70 in a bpm counter, can actually mix as 140 as well.

You got it?

Run 10 DnB tracks into a BPM counter and see that most of them will read 85-88 bpm. (ex 86 x 2 = 172)

Think about it like this: you can take two dnb tunes one at 180 and one at 172 and mix them, why not a hip hop tune at 90 and a dnb tune at 172? Its essentially the same thing?

Play around with it. It gets a lot easier as you do it more, and the more you do it - the more obscure mixes you start to think about.

Last edited:
now if u wanted to cheat, which im sure alot of bigname djs/producers do...
If u are any good at producing you could easily stick a dnb beat on the beginning of any other genre track. then save it as an mp3 and then voila you can mix the intro dnb beat with what evers playing by using a cdj and just cut it at the drop.
Ive never done this myself but i imagine a lot of djs do do this.

Last edited:
now if u wanted to cheat, which im sure alot of bigname djs/producers do...
If u are any good at producing you could easily stick a dnb beat on the beginning of any other genre track. then save it as an mp3 and then voila you can mix the intro dnb beat with what evers playing by using a cdj and just cut it at the drop.
Ive never done this myself but i imagine a lot of djs do do this.

Indeed, probably true. It's the same thing when they've got some tunes already mixed and saved as mp3, so that they only mess with filters during these parts. Or prep to do sicker mixes that need more setting up and cueing beforehand, or lots of teasers...

Wow thats a sick idea actually, make an mp3 of two tunes mixed together, something that is too crazy or difficult to attempt on stage

ask russla dj

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

Wow thats a sick idea actually, make an mp3 of two tunes mixed together, something that is too crazy or difficult to attempt on stage

wouldn't you rather practise real hard and nail those crazy mixes so you can pull em off live?

Back
Top Bottom