mixing question

i mix as i go.

just adding shit in willy nilly and then worrying about the mix when it's done is just asking for trouble.

saying that, i've never actually finished a tune soo....

Half and half to be honest, mixing as I go then a tidy up at the end. It's probably not the best way, but whatever, it works for me.

yeah i usually mix as i go, just gives me a better image of what the tune is gonna sound like

probably interferes with my creative flow but its just how i learned to do it

Definitely mix as i go. Usually have a day or two on something else then go back in and do a final mixdown.

If you're doing your own sound design, eqing stuff to make it fit, placing things in the stereo field, side-chaining etc etc, I think by default we all mix as we go to an extent, whether we realise it or not.

I have a hard time defining when I'm "mixing" and when I'm just working. I sometimes have a stage at the end where I'm not changing anything from a creative standpoint and just working on sound quality. I guess I tend to do it as I go but it depends on how things flow. Sometimes I'll come up with a bunch of ideas and then do some mixing/maintenance/organization stuff for a little bit then go back to coming up with ideas.

If by mixing "on the go" is meant to be lowering the db levels of the instruments, so it didn't clip while arranging the song, then yes, I do my mixing "on the go". But, after I finish what I call "creative part" of the song, I just mute all the instruments, and start leveling the db of them all again, comparing to the kick I'm using.

Hey Krispy's hit thirty! Must be sad times eh...especially for someone as reliant on their looks as you are...how are you coping??

Back
Top Bottom