Mixing problems

Discussion in 'Production' started by dj-dusty, Apr 13, 2010.

1. dj-dusty

dj-dusty Member

Oi oi peeps, i am having trouble blending the sounds in my track together nicley.

Its my main synth, my drums and my sub that are the main problems, whenever the the main synth and sub trigger, the drums get quieter and this then results in it sounding shit lol.
    It sounds like the elements in the mix are straining to play at the same time.

I have used EQ to seperate them in the frequency spectrum but still no joy, any help would be much appreciated.

Oh and im using reason just in case you need to know

2. kama

kama benkama.net

Remove any processing you have one the master channel first. Then check if your channels are too loud, just pull them down to -12 or even down to -inf and redo your mix from the ground up.

3. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

This.

All of the elements in the mix are too loud. I had this problem when I was starting out as I'd put a sub in that was too loud and it would drown out the beat. You need to mix it down again and add Parametric EQs to anything that you think is fighting for the same frequency space then EQ it down a bit until it starts sounding clearer.

4. Zeal

Zeal Ohm/C2D/Dark Asylum/Ennex

Yeah what they said bascially, especially if you are using a compressor or limiter on the master output

will really suck the drums out when the bass hits as its the strongest element in that freq

Try cutting the sub bass where the kick n snare hit too, this will give the drums the room they need to cut in better

But yeha the main prob by sounds of it is on the master buss

5. sato

sato Member

EQing wont make much of a difference unless you are running your entire mix through a multiband compressor - which you really shouldn't.

If you want to have a sound very loud in a song you have to leave enough room in your mix to let it be that loud which basically (as everyone else has pointed out) involves turning everything else down. If you don't want to turn everything else down then get used to everything turning itself down every time that big sound comes in.

6. dj-dusty

dj-dusty Member

Nice one guys, i have done as you said and it worked a treat, i took off all processing on the master channel, and started the mix again and it sounds wicked now, much clearer and everything sounds in proportion, i will try upload a sample of the track at some point today so you can all have a listen and maybe give me some more tips on the production of the track.

Thanks again guys, BIG help!

7. dj-dusty

dj-dusty Member

8. sato

sato Member

your kick and snare are a bit wishy-washy try and find more solid ones

9. dj-dusty

dj-dusty Member

i was going for a recluse type snare sound, i quite liked the result i got tbh, but i know what you mean with my kick, it is abit thin, cheers for listening though mate