Mixing Off-Days

Alexi

Drench Audio
VIP Junglist
Alright,

I've had my decks about 6 months now, so am quite comfortable with beatmatching & mixing etc. But recently my mixing abilities seem to be up & down all the time.

It's only started happening in the last few weeks. Some days anything I try turns to gold, and I don't even have to think about mixing, and I get a quality set. But others, and this is the problem, I can't mix anything, just get clunking beats even with simple tunes. When this happens I try to mix stuff I know inside out, just to get back into it, but I can't even do this.

I know this happens to everyone, but does anyone have any tips on how to get more consistent mixing.

practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice

mix the same vinyl on each turntable.. u cant fail!!

na but i think there will come a point when u are consistent.. just takes time

it does happen to everyone but u can easily become consistent. i used to get it alot. the way u overcome it is by mixing for at least 1 hour every day. i.e just practice all the time and u will be sick. i get wot u mean tho sumtimes if u do a bad mix straight off it puts u in a bad vibe and has a subconscious effect on all ur mixes. or mayeb im looking too deep into it. lol

Alright,

I've had my decks about 6 months now, so am quite comfortable with beatmatching & mixing etc. But recently my mixing abilities seem to be up & down all the time.

But you have only been mixing 6 months.... Thats why

yh just practice, and injoy doing it

play the tracks by themselves so u understand the beat pattens more maybee

or just be a waste and quit

as I have stated in previous threads I am Andy C I do not have off days please explain this more. :teeth:

An as other people have said just keep practicing... Practice makes perfect ya know ;)

Last edited:
practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice

This. The only true way to be honest.

I think with bedroom mixing you can become a bit of slacker and a bit lazy, some days im mixing and looking out the window or a i have crap on my mind and my mixing can be rubbish, other times when im happy and all is fine and dandy then it jus rolls like you say, you dont even have to think about it and it comes off everytime.

Ive only been mixing for about a year but i still find that the more i practice the closer i become to being where i want to be, and that is spot on everytime.

Maybe try and think before you start " Right im about to play in front of alot of people and this is what id like them to hear, people will judge me by this "

I also find that rushing/being lazy coz your in your bedroom or just not paying attention can have an affect too...........clear your mind! :)

I think with bedroom mixing you can become a bit of slacker and a bit lazy, some days im mixing and looking out the window or a i have crap on my mind and my mixing can be rubbish, other times when im happy and all is fine and dandy then it jus rolls like you say, you dont even have to think about it and it comes off everytime.

Ive only been mixing for about a year but i still find that the more i practice the closer i become to being where i want to be, and that is spot on everytime.

Maybe try and think before you start " Right im about to play in front of alot of people and this is what id like them to hear, people will judge me by this "

I also find that rushing/being lazy coz your in your bedroom or just not paying attention can have an affect too...........clear your mind! :)

:readthis:

i find i mix better when i've just woke up cuz my minds fresh. try and get into the music aswell, if you aint feeling the tunes you aint gonna mix them too well either no matter how goo your beatmatching is!

I used to mix whilst playin fifa, just mix in the next tune at halftime lol, but enjoy dj'in it a lot more being focused on the mix

[Politrix];433057 said:
:readthis:

i find i mix better when i've just woke up cuz my minds fresh. try and get into the music aswell, if you aint feeling the tunes you aint gonna mix them too well either no matter how goo your beatmatching is!

Same for me mate, the first thing i do in the morning before i do anything is have a quick 3 vinyl lol, still in my boxers n all haha! Maybe the dressin gown if im really feelin' the flow

the best mixes i probably ever have had were when i had a shitty warehouse job... no mental stimulation no music etc so i'd have tunes running through my head all day so as soon as i got home id get right on it an have a right ol session

Try giving it a break for a few days and listening to some other music.

yeah, step back and take a break. i used to try and squeeze in practice time when i was tired from school, work, etc, but its not worth it. just makes you feel shitty since your skills seem to worsen.

Back
Top Bottom