Mixing Liquid

I'm not always a big fan of Liquid (eg Hospital etc) type mixes like London Eleks essential mix even though I love the music. Don't get me wrong I enjoy listening to them, but cos theyre usually dealing with ultra melodic stuff, or tracks with lots going on, that a lot of the transitions are ok, they don't particularly clash or anything but theyre just pretty average and rather than really creating sick mixes of tunes theyre just adequate sounding transitions that probably actually hinder the tunes rather than taking them up a level. Not sure how much sense that made but I know what I meant.

I'm quite fussy when it comes to liquid mixing as the tracks have to be spot on to actually sound really good together. I've got a few good liquid mixes that I really rinse, Together VIP > Be True, Be True > Days Go By, Days Go By - Tear You Down, Tear You Down > The Trip, Cosmonought > Gold Rush, Avalon > Textures & Sound by KG (try em all out out!) that I think bring out the tunes and add something but all these tunes are so melodic that I find 95% of tracks ruin them a bit really when you stick em in the mix.

This is why I think that whilst beat matching liquid is usually fairly easy, its the hardest sub genre to mix really well and effectively cos when I mix Tech or Jumpup or ICESTEP, the tracks are much more versatile and far more tunes go with each other. So yeah, bit of a random (and many will say pointless) rant, but big up all you Liquid DJs, it aint easy! (y)

To be honest mate i agree with you 100% Liquid tunes have to be completely right for eachother in the mix or it just sounds gay :-\ and if your liquid selection isn't very big like mine then it's hard to do a solid liquid mix

Back
Top Bottom