Mixing into the next tune

mad scientist

Turkish
Once you have two beats matched up, which method is more effective to make a smooth transition? The crossfader or the vertical fader?

good question, most dNb DJs I know use the crossfader for a number of reasons. I seen house DJs (Derrick Carter) play killer sets with the volume faders though

soemtimes when I hear the beatmatching in my headphones it sounds perfect but when I play it back live it sounds like garbage. What am I doing wrong.

is that related to your fader question ...?

How far away is your monitor from your ears ? sometimes there can be a small delay but it shouldnt be that much ...
its best to have your 'phones set on your head so you can listen to the monitor with one ear and the 'phones with your other ear. Leave them like that as you move the faders to keep track of the sound.
Its hard to lock a tune down so well that you don't need to tweak it at all in the mix ...

:beers:

mad scientist said:
Once you have two beats matched up, which method is more effective to make a smooth transition? The crossfader or the vertical fader?

I usually use my volume faders when mixin'. I just keep the crossfader directly in the center. I like to do a lot of teasin' and what not and it's just more convenient. (y)

i had to use my upfaders to mix as my crossfader was bleeding like a bitch, now i wouldn't mix any other way, upfaders for mixing and crossfader for scratching, simple.

word Gordo! i use crossfader cos u can swicth between tunes & do lil fader tricks when mixing. i only use up faders if the crossfaders leaking.

It depends on what you're trying to do.

Ideally:

Upfaders for blending.....cross for banging in tunes... if I want to do a pretty quick mix, or throw two heavy tunes togther I'll use the cross...if I want to do a nice long one then its all about the lines (upfader)

I use the upfaders coz my crossfaders fucked, but I use the gain controls to swap them over, I find it so much smoother as my upfaders come in suddenly. I'll turn the gain down, bring the upfader right up and lower the gain of the track playing, then slowly move the gains in opposite directions till they have swapped over.

I would probably use the crossfader though, if it worked.

mad scientist said:
soemtimes when I hear the beatmatching in my headphones it sounds perfect but when I play it back live it sounds like garbage. What am I doing wrong.

The problem is the pitch is incorrect. By the time you you brought it in, it's gone out of synch.

basicly, what i find pretty reliable is:
up fader for when one tune is palyin, and xfader in the middle
and when on the mix, xfader to do fancy shit.
tricky bit is to remember whats open and whatc not...many times i have thought no ones hearing said record spinning badly while i was queing it in mah headphones.....and then i notice people looking at me....
:oops:

:alf:

I use a combination of both

When I'm playing out and have to use those god awful allen & heath crossfaders it's strictly volume faders

GorDo said:
basicly, what i find pretty reliable is:
up fader for when one tune is palyin, and xfader in the middle
and when on the mix, xfader to do fancy shit.
tricky bit is to remember whats open and whatc not...many times i have thought no ones hearing said record spinning badly while i was queing it in mah headphones.....and then i notice people looking at me....
:oops:

:alf:

yeah, also the problem with fucking with your gains too much in the mix; I reckon you should set them before even beat-matching, then use upfaders for tweaking.
But I must say more people use upfaders for blending than I thought, maybe I should give it a crack. (y)

mesh said:
yeah, also the problem with fucking with your gains too much in the mix; I reckon you should set them before even beat-matching, then use upfaders for tweaking.
em, id say its the other way around man.
You use the gain to tweak the volume with, and upfader is just on, off.
But ofcourse, thats my way, you do it like that, ..blah blha blah, PLUR, give us a hug .
:D

fair enough, I check my levels and set the gain to that before I beat-match.
I find messing with the gain whilst in the mix on a bigger system can cause too much irregularity in volume, whereas if its already set you can slide the upfaders and know that when you slam them up to max it won't be too loud.
Also, listen to the volume creep up when peeps get exxcited and fuck with gains too much in the mix.

but yeah, like y'know ...
:zest: :afro:

mesh said:
fair enough, I check my levels and set the gain to that before I beat-match.
I find messing with the gain whilst in the mix on a bigger system can cause too much irregularity in volume, whereas if its already set you can slide the upfaders and know that when you slam them up to max it won't be too loud.
Also, listen to the volume creep up when peeps get exxcited and fuck with gains too much in the mix.

but yeah, like y'know ...
:zest: :afro:

agreed, its a lot more subtle than slamming both upfaders up and tweaking with the gains, i very rarely touch the gains in a mix

Back
Top Bottom