Mixing heavier dnb

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by DNBMAN12345, Jul 3, 2008.

1. DNBMAN12345

DNBMAN12345 Member

Hi,

I find it harder to mix heavier dnb like neurofunk/techstep etc.. because the drum patterns are completely different.
    With most liquidfunk and stuff I listen to, you've got a simple amen break and you can use the (hi hat or snare? not sure which one it's called lol - it's in the hi's range) to tell if you're too fast or slow because it comes at the same time in each bar, but with heavier dnb it's all over the place.

What do you guys do? Just mix in the parts with no beat or what?
    Oh, and when there's a dj set that is back to back, how does that work? Does 1 dj mix and 1 scratch, or both mix or what?

Thanks,
    dnbman

2. efil4ssab

efil4ssab Skematix DJ

im no pro (hell i can barely keep a mix together) but just listen to your tracks religiously and practice practice practice. someday it will hit you and you'll be able to mix anything into anything.... within reason yeah?

3. Sammy_Dodger

Sammy_Dodger Mr Ed

Just concentrate on the first beat of every bar rather than the tune...its easy to get to into the tune (with parts not being on beat).

4. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Liquid funk doesn't have amens...

You know what an amen is don't you?

5. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

the problem with what your doing is your listening out for one single sound out of a whole load...... the sound that your trying to listen out for is a snare...... the snare can pretty much be put anywhere in a drum pattern..... as long as it has rythm....... this obviously is not a good thing to listen out for....... in fact you shouldnt ever really try listen and beatmatch any 1 specific sound....... just feel the rythem of both the tracks your playing and get the rythem in time....... this way you will never go wrong...... like what sammy-dodger said...... if you beat match the first beat of every bar then you wont go wrong........ this does take a bit of practice...... as its not easy when you first start DJ'n to be able to feel the rythem of both tracks playing....... and get them in time with each other...... this will only come with time and practice.

As a starting point try and listen for High Hats.... or Ride Cymbols..... these are, in most cases, always on every beat...... and give you a kinda metronome within the track...... if that makes sense??..... its basicly the one thing that all dnb tracks will definatly have in common...... a constant rythmic High Hat or Ride Cymbol.......

If you dont know what a High Hat or Ride Cymbol sounds like have a listen to these.....

Closed High Hat

Open High Hat .......

Normal Ride Cymbal Hit

Ride Cymbal Bell Hit (this is the sound of a ride cymbal when hit in the center. The bit that kinda bumps up in the middle of it)

Ride Cymbal Rim Hit

As you can see theres a few different type of each.... but they generally sound the same.

But like i said before...... you shouldnt ever really just listen out and beat match to one single sound....... but this is a good starting point when learning to mix.

As for back to back..... it can work in a alot of different ways mate. Most common is just the DJs playing 1 or 2 tracks each..... and alternating like that for the set.
    But other than that back 2 back can be what ever your imagination can dream up...... in the end of the day its music...... theres a few basic rules to stick to but other than that its your creativity that makes the difference. Whether you want to set up 2 or 3 pairs of decks and one guy droppin in hooks from well known tunes while the other mixs and have someone else doing a handstand while scratching with his bottom lip...... like i said..... its what ever your creativity can come up with.......

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  6. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

You tend to do a couple of tracks each and keep switching it depends I've done some b2b's 1 in 1 out (2 tracks each), and some 4 or 5 tracks each... Oh and some Dj's will do a little scratching seshion while the other is in the mix i.e. Hype and Andy C b2b, hype will scratch whilst andys mixing
    but hype will mix aswell.

7. Greg P

Greg P Active Member

All DnB tunes will mix together if you practice long enough - just keep trying and evetually (like Rack said) you'll start to feel the rythm of the tracks and it won't matter that the drum patterns aren't the same, in fact you'll start to prefer them to be all over the place!

8. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

hahahaha!! Rack..... RacksteadyUK..... could be a name for a new type of Vinyl rack.....

9. Greg P

Greg P Active Member

Racksteady hmmmm... I kinda like it, although it sounds like a sports-bra manufacturer or summat...

Mental fail on writing your name though, A isn't even anywhere near O on the keyboard...

Dunno where I was going with that one!

10. DNBMAN12345

DNBMAN12345 Member

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tkQVrjQVdsU
    That yes... comes in around 15-16s?

@rocksteady
    Okay, thanks, really helpful.
    I'll try that.
    Cheers.

11. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Not really.

This is the classic amen at 1:40. Modern mainstream dnb doesn't use amens. Leftfield stuff uses amens, so does ragga jungle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy3_Xffis_0&feature=related

What you have in your example is what I'd call a classic 2step dnb beat, bog easy to mix.

12. DNBMAN12345

DNBMAN12345 Member

Oh right, okay. Yeah, I have no trouble with the '2 step' beat, but other ones I find harder.
    Cheers.

13. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Okay mate, wasn't going after you, just clarifying the point so you know in the future. The amen is the classic up to 1995 beat, Pulp Fiction brought a revolution. I know why you might be a little confused with the frantic end action with the Hospital breakbeat.

14. MARLZTAH

MARLZTAH ++DuB PrOFesSoR++

in that video you posted 12345 i think there is an Amen in the layers.... very high passed but it is there

this is the Amen in its original form........

The Winstons - Amen Brother.... check it at 1:27
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr8a81QgbkM

15. DNBMAN12345

DNBMAN12345 Member

Oh yeah, I hear it.
    Thanks for all the help.

16. dizzzeejungle

dizzzeejungle Junglist Down Under..

Also, I think you will find most drum pattens hae one part that really stands out.

It could be a cymbol or a snare, or a kick drum. I find the better i know the track, the easier this is to pick out. Like I know for Morning Light (Klute remix) that the first snare is where the mixings at etc.

17. DNBMAN12345

DNBMAN12345 Member

But if you have 2 different drum beats with parts that stand out on different beats, you can't match them can you?
    Thanks.

18. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

aaaarrrggghhh!! mate... just read what i wrote.... dont listen to anyone else..... it will confuse you..... just do what i said and it will all be cooll...... High Hats..... think HIGH HATS!!!

19. DNBMAN12345

DNBMAN12345 Member

Lol, okay cheers.