Mixing from dnb to dubstep

Dieselboy, Ewun & Evol Intent - Midnight Express has a tempo change on the breakdown to about 140 bpm so you could mix dubstep into that. You'd have to be quick though as the breakdown lasts 32 bars.

i totally used that track in a mix i did with like electro breaks dubstep darkpsytrance and then dnb

wat about the scream remix of in for the kill? doenst that start with dubstep and ends with dnb?

Not at all man. Yea the drums change timing, but not tempo. If you try to do this you will fail, i have seen it.

There is no way to "mix" dnb with dubstep. You can mix dnb with some downtempo. A downtempo tune at 88 bpm, will half time of dnb @ 176 bpm like no bodies business.

Anyway i just saw benny page, and lots can be learned from that cat. He is very quick on the decks. The trick is to find drops that carry energy, and just quickly switch the tunes (i know this is easier said than done.) But benny was in and out of dubstep all night.

Here is an example of what i mean. (warning shit audio quality) He has a ragga jungle tune plays, and keeps cutting back n forth with a dubstep tune (you can kinda tell what he is doing if you listen to the drums & the vocals)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW0fgEWLdto&feature=related

If you get a chance to see Benny Page, you will understand what i mean.

why not invent something different from the word go.... if everyone started dropping electro house in a dnb would you do it??? probably would.... by why not be the first person??? takes a man to stand up and do something different then sheep will follow.....

i've seen clipz a couple of times recently and he's been dropping bassline electro stuff. he's producing it too, under "redlight" alias i think.

im gonna start playing s club in my sets. true originator

buy a cdj an drop a dnb track in to a dubstep track at 140 bpm get the dnb track looping the intro works best if you have a track that has a beat at the start, bring the dnb track in an once you take the dubstep one out start to speed the dnb track up gradually untill you reach your desired tempo... If your doing it the other way mixing dubstep into dnb drop the dubstep track over the dnb track at dnb speed an when its about to drop just switch from the dnb track to dubstep an hit quartz lock or the equivilant if your cd decks got one.

I always thought a little mix from Danny Byrd (Wierd Science) into some grime (DJ Dreddy - Invade) works well. Then when you are around 135-140bpm you can mix in your dubstep then break back into something like dirtyphonics Vandals.

Thats all from me.

i used to play a little bit of breakbeat and electro n once did a set where i switched it up a bit... its all about switching it up..

nothing wrong with dubstep and if everyones doing it n u decide not to do it because of that but dont knock it rocksteady!

ive built up a nice little collection of alternative genre tunes and am gonna do a dedicated mix soon.

i wud also like to ad Two Fingers ft Sway - That Girl (Spor remix)

i used to play a little bit of breakbeat and electro n once did a set where i switched it up a bit... its all about switching it up..

nothing wrong with dubstep and if everyones doing it n u decide not to do it because of that but dont knock it rocksteady!

ive built up a nice little collection of alternative genre tunes and am gonna do a dedicated mix soon.

i wud also like to ad Two Fingers ft Sway - That Girl (Spor remix)

yeh i know what your saying... im not knocking it really.... but.. i just think doing something a little bit more different would be better??

like what your saying... throwing some breaks or elctro in there... instead of dubstep....which seems to be the standard now... would be far more entertaining than hearing yet another dnb dj playing dubstep....

yeh i know what your saying... im not knocking it really.... but.. i just think doing something a little bit more different would be better??

like what your saying... throwing some breaks or elctro in there... instead of dubstep....which seems to be the standard now... would be far more entertaining than hearing yet another dnb dj playing dubstep....

yer u make alot of sense... its not good to aim to be a walking cliche, or even a dj cliche lol...

if im playing a set where its not just dnb i wudnt do just dnb n dubstep tho... id throw in sum electro n breakz... but thats just my style. if im doing a dubstep set then il just play dubstep... if im doing dnb then just dnb... but if its eclectic then y limit urself to the two genres???

altho having said that when u get a choon that switches up itself i always like to do a cheeky little out of genre teaser mix with it just to spice it up a bit but i dnt think that counts as genre switching....

it seems these switching tunes are becoming common place these days n the lines between what is dubstep and what is breakbeat and minimal tech r becoming blured, its not about labeling urself as playing anything in particular just play wot u wanna play and if thats ur style then thats ur style but if it happens to be every tom dick n harry's style then ur not gonna stand out lol.

good thread.

Nobody has suggested it yet, but if you have Serato...

If, you mix in a Dubstep choon on 33rpm, bang it to 45, -8% pitch on 1210's
on a 140bpm dubstep, it's now like 172bpm!

Obviously certain choons sound weird, you can play about with key lock on and off and its sounds mental, then just power down and start it playin when your at 140bpm!

Sounds wicked with Pro Nails (Remix) - Rusko

crossing to dubstep about 4 years ago would've been different but now that its generally seen by the masses as a cool NEW thing...well nuff said

anyways if you learn to beat juggle and do it well you'd be sorted

Nice sig! ^^

Im getting slightly more into dubstep now, mixing the both sounds intresting so will give it a shot some point

most of the stuff on lifted records has breakdowns that are perfect fro a transition into or outta dubstep.

levela ft mc fun - dub style

it actually has a dubstep bit in it so u can just mix some other dubstep from that

Back
Top Bottom