Mixing Down a song in FL

wacked_1

How do I go about doing this in FL Studio?

Lets just talk drums for now. I don't know if this is the right way of going about it but i've assigned each individual hit to its own mixer track. But how do I now link all these mixer tracks to their own mixer track. So that I can have a master track in which I can control the drums as a whole from there?

can anyone help me on this one? :S

mixer.jpg

Ok mate, I just made this real quick so sorry if it don't make sense!

See the 3 channels next to the master? Hat, snare & kick. On the other side of the mixer there aer 4 'sends' which you can use to group channels together. If you look at the pic you should see that the hat channel is selected but I'm adjusting something on the DRUMS send, this is the amount of send from the selected channel to that send. Once you've put that up to 100% you'll want to use the same process on the Master channel (select the hat channel, adjust the 'send' knob down to 0) to stop the channel sending to the master.

If you get lost doing this, just hover over the knobs and buttons and look in the top left under file, edit, channel etc menus and it has a useful snippet that tells you what each thing does.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your help man. One thing I dont understand. What exactly is a send? :S I just took a dive into the help guide for FL and worked out how to route mixer tracks, so now I've managed to group all my drums. But whats the difference between routing all my drum hits to a normal mixer track opposed to routing them to a send?

Thanks again

A send is just an auxilary channel you can use to group multiple channels... So say you are layering bass synth patches one for the mids and one for the low low stuff, and they sound good together but need some extra effecting as a whole, e.g. some chorus or you want to add some delay on them, then automate the volume... in this case you would send them both to a send, then put the chorus & delay on the send channel & automate the send's volume control to effect them both at the same time rather than indivudally (which would mean 2 x chorus, 2 x delay + 2 x volume automation).

It's just another channel on the mixer but instead of having a synth feeding it's input you use the output of other channels

Excuse the dodgy paint diagram:
send.jpg

The master is the same concept, it is just a channel on the mixer, but it's input is the summation of all the other (sending) channel's inputs, and it's output is to the sound hardware or wherever your sound is going

good explanation mate , thanks ! I was thinking about this this morning and now I see there is a thread about it ..

good explanation mate , thanks ! I was thinking about this this morning and now I see there is a thread about it ..

No problem fella. It's one of those things that doesn't make sense until you've seen it done, I spend half my time in front of FL scratching my head hehe.

Back
Top Bottom