Mixing dnb with cdj's

loveweed

just wondering if there are any tips on cdj mixing? i dont have a beat counter. when i mix tunes that are 140 - 150bpm i slide the tempo thingy up or down by .7%, this changes the tempo by 1bpm, is there a rule like this for dnb tempos? cheers

You can always work it out mathematicaly, but your best bet is just to practice so you can use your ears it works every time... nearly lol.

just wondering if there are any tips on cdj mixing? i dont have a beat counter. when i mix tunes that are 140 - 150bpm i slide the tempo thingy up or down by .7%, this changes the tempo by 1bpm, is there a rule like this for dnb tempos? cheers

Most dnb is 170-180 bpm. That's a ~1% change up or down.

Do the rest by ear or use the Mixmeister bpm counter, its free and incredibly accurate. Just remember to double the speeds it gives you.

Forget about trying to match the BPM by sight mate....
The BPM counter on the CDj's isn't always acurate.....besides, It's best to get in the habit of using your ears as thats what DJing is all about. Training yourself to have a good ear for music.

i'll echo what subsonic said, if you mix by numbers, then you're not really mixing. beatmatching is a skill, don't be afraid to put the effort into learning it, because it's massively rewarding.

Couldn't agree more with safety & subsonic, they're dead right...

You're way way better off ignoring the BPM counters on your decks completely, and learning how to do it properly by ear

Yo son, needing a BPM counter is the least of your worries. Check it, if you love DnB i mean truly love it, then mixing the trax together is the mane thing. I know you can do, now its your turn... KEEP PUSHING YOURSELF ....

Best wishes..... BOH BOH BOH :gun:

rarley do i ever play on turntables anymore and let me say that the bpm counter on the pioneer cdjs is total shit in my experiences!! There is no tick to mixing any kind of music on cdj, they are super sensitive and just take lots of practice. if you are learning on them just COVER UP THE DISPLAY and let your ears do the work! good luck!

I started off using the BPM counter before I knew anything about mixing... It's shite, don't bother with it, learn to beatmatch. BPM counters are never accurate and it's far more rewarding when you learn to beatmatch.

i've got a bpm counter on my mixer but it stops at 160 :teeth:

i only ever use it as rough guide for mixing the other bits and pieces i have acquired, flips & stolen tunes form my dad's collection

Back
Top Bottom