Mixer to Interface to PC / Mixer directly to PC? Need some help

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by The Watcha, Jul 26, 2013.

1. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

I have been running my mixer to an interface then to my PC for a couple of years now for recording mixes.

Just wondered if it is possible to wire a mixer directly into a PC to record mixes?

And does anyone on here record their mixes like this?

2. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

you will need an audio interface card, allot of PC's have mic/line level inputs built into the motherboard, but you wont get the best quality and you may suffer from latency issues which could lead to drop outs, distortion/clipping and all sorts of other issues

I can highly recomend the Audiophile 2496 card from M-Audio if you want to switch to an internal solution, great value and excellent quality (£50-£70, shop around), i've had 2 for close to 10 years and they are still my main option when i dont need multi-channel or preamps

Check you have a card slot available in your machine of course first

3. The Watcha

Fair man. Thanks for the advice.
    The USB port that I usually record to is being a bit temperamental, so trying to get the input to the computer via another port.

If I get a female USB lead that goes from my interface to another port on the computer, that should mean I don't have to fork out for that card you mention. Do you think that would work? That way I'm still getting an interface between my mixer and my computer

4. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

unless the USB cable is damaged, you dont need a diffrent USB cable, just plug it into a diffrent USB port on the computer....unless i'm misunderstanding you

5. The Watcha

Its not the USB cable thats damaged. It interfaces the music online to the computer speakers and from my mixer to the computer speakers both through the interface box.

Bought a new cable today to go directly from the mixer to my computer in a different port + I worked out that my computer has an audio manager program installed. This has fixed the problem I was having.

Thanks for your suggestions Miszt

6. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

Yeah most computers can record direct from a mixer, you may get latency and sound quality issues esp with longer recordings, but sometimes not. If you come up against problems, try installing ASIO4ALL drivers and use them in your recording software, might improve things a bit, but eventually you will probly want a new interface of some kind

7. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

Deffo this. It will eliminate recording latency instantly if you are using the onboard sound from your laptop/desktop motherboard.

An internal PCI-E soundcard will give you much better audio recording results though as the Digital to Ananlogue Converter will be much better than the onboard sound. The detail of the recording will be much crisper and clearer.

8. lindaxak

lindaxak New Member

they are still my main option when i dont need multi-channel or preamps[​IMG]