Mixer Running Hot!

ThePapa

Suffragette City..
VIP Junglist
Hi guys need your help,

Just bought an Ecler Nuo 4 and for some reason when I play tunes it automatically goes into the red even when I turn the master & booth right down so there's no sound coming out of the speakers. The only way I can stop them is to turn the gains/trims down to -15 decibels (absolute minimum) and I'm pretty sure they're meant to sit on zero (or twelve o'clock). If I leave them on zero the limiter kicks in and it's doing my nut in...

What the fuck am I doing wrong? Any help greatly appreciated!

Think this was asked before. Think the solution was a grounding issue maybe? I'll try and find the old thread for ya.

I've got Stanton ST-150's and I dont think they need earthing? There's certainly no wire coming out of the decks...

I've heard limiters kick in before when someone's just finished a mix but I never thought to ask why that happened. Hopefully it's just me being thick?

Look on the back of your Stantons. Are they set to "Line"? They should be set to "Phono". And yes, Stantons don't need a ground wire because they are internally earthed.

The gains aren't meant to sit anywhere, they should be adjusted to suit each individual tune. There is no standard.

My friend had the 2 channel one, he never had problems with it heating up or nought but it was impossible to keep out of the red.

Look on the back of your Stantons. Are they set to "Line"? They should be set to "Phono". And yes, Stantons don't need a ground wire because they are internally earthed.

The gains aren't meant to sit anywhere, they should be adjusted to suit each individual tune. There is no standard.

The decks and the channels are both set to phono.

I hear what you're saying about the trims but there's an enormous groove at twelve o'clock which makes me think the manufacturers expect them to be set there? Also I'm pretty sure they shouldnt push the volume into the red when the master does nothing...

Cheers for the suggestion though.

---------- Post added at 01:17 ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 ----------

Plus all the youtube videos of people using them show the gains on zero. :confused:

right, on my djm600 there is a small pin on the very back where all the ins/outs are. it looks like pin the size of a 5p with a line going through it. now this controls the level of the output being fed to the amp. i dont know if your mixer will have something similar but if u use a screwdriver to turn the pin down, you'll see the master volume come down with it, this should bring your levels out of the red and back into the green. as i said i dont know if it is the same on your mixer.

The decks and the channels are both set to phono.

I had some stantons a while back. something-90, they only output line, not phono.
I cant seem to find anything on stantons website to indicate if these are the same but it sounds like it.

Line is +4 db and if you plug it into phono thats another +12. Thats a gain of +16 db, which is a LOT.

That would definately cause your mixer to max out on the levels. Change your mixer over to line and test it. The worst that can happen is it'll be too quiet.

Bear in mind that most new dnb nowadays is produced very loudly and will need you to trim the levels down, probably to 10-11 oclock.

DTR knows the score, some mixers expect the signal to be quiet therefore meaning the gain will be 0 on new dnb tracks. Old hip hop stuff etc will be produced a lot quieter so you'd need to turn the gain up loads. So imagine if you wanted to play and old vinyl with a new one, but the trim was 12oclock on the new track but still in the green, the old track wouldnt be heard even if turned all the way up.. If that makes sense?

Back
Top Bottom