Mixer Recommendations

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Alexi, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Alexi

Alexi Drench Audio

At the moment I'm using a cheap Numark DM1002 Mk2 mixer, as it was the one I got when i first bought my decks and it's been good enough, but the EQ is starting to play up, and I was thinking of upgrading anyway.

I'm not looking to spend that much because I won't be using my decks much once i go off to uni, probably about 150-200 quid.

Ideally I'd like 3 channels, and am not that bothered about fx or bpm counters, or gimics like that, just good sound quality.

I've been looking at the Behringer DJX700 or the Numark DXM09.

Anyone got any advice?

Cheers, Alexi

2. Riisu

Riisu Not the Preacher Man

yeah, go with behringer. i've only heard good things about them.....

3. Riisu

Riisu Not the Preacher Man

oh! i should mention. by good, i mean the worst shit you've ever had the misfortune of laying your hands on. just avoid at all costs.

4. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

I got a Vestax VMC-185XL after my behringer died, and so far its been a fucking dream.

Fits into your budget, has 3 channels and is fucking sickkkkkkk.

5. naz85

naz85 New Member

im luking for a new mixer too, are numark n gemini ne good? ive got about 150 to spend? thankings

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  6. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

I have a dxm 09..

Beast :D

7. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Numark is okay but definitely not a top quality, hard-wearing mixer. I abused the shit out of mine though and it works okay BUT needed repairs.

8. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

My experience so far:

Dont get a behringer.

Get a vestax.

9. Transient Energ

Transient Energ Member

Out of the mixer's i've had.

Manufacture (What I paid in £ and Model) = Comments

Kam (£20 white dwarf lol) = Terrible sound quality but unbreakable.

Stanton (2 channel that come with my decks) = Broke within a month and when sent for repairs couldn't be fixed.

Gemini (£80 BPM 150) = Not the best sound quality but almost indestructable. I've had it 5 years bought it second hand. Been rough as hell with it. Spilt beer ash and juice on it and it still works just the same. Still have it under a pile of cables somewhere.

Numark (£120 Matrix3) = Sounds amazing, good kills and EQ's, Lots of connections (Balanced out and fx loop are appreciated :) ). BUT the channel faders are designed to be stiff :( and all three channels are broke at the top. The cross fader is slick and still sounds good though.

For mixers that i've used I'd say Allen & Heath, Urei, Korg and Pioneer are best. I don't like the Vestax much but thats personal preference rather than a quality issue (didn't like the EQ's).

At your price range buying based on my experience I'd buy a Gemini or Numark.

Gemini do a reasonable 3 channel for around 150-170 http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR266226.

Numark's equivalent would be the DXM09 which will sound better but cost more http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR147228.

Theres also the Vestax VMC 185 http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR205157.

If you can stretch to £250 you could get Urei's 2 channel mixer which is much higher quality than any of the above http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR150597.

Buying second hand try find an Allen & Heath or Pioneer mixer in your budget.

If I were you i'd find a store near by and tell them you wan't to try the mixers you like out so you know your getting the right one.

EDIT: Don't get a Behringer!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  10. Alexi

Alexi Drench Audio

Yeah I'm gonna go into the M2 dj shop in southampton, and have a play around with a couple then once i've decided buy it somewhere else, coz everythings dear in there.

11. robhicks1

robhicks1 Nuts about Zoo

Is that shop in 'the mall' ?

12. Transient Energ

Transient Energ Member

Good plan :2thumbs:

13. Welsh Junglist

Welsh Junglist AKA Faqade

I've had a Reloop RMX30 for about 3 years now i think and it's still going strong. I have just recentely took the faders apart and clean them cause they were a bit dirty inside after 3 years, apart from that it's been top notch. Mine is the same version as this, this is just a new version cause mine is silver.

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?ref=gbase&Track=RMX30BF

14. Alexi

Alexi Drench Audio

yeah in the marlands, theyre helpful in there, but about twice the price of the internet

15. robhicks1

robhicks1 Nuts about Zoo

Yeah I thought so cus I kinda did the same thing.
    I checked out the KRK Rokit speakers in there and brought them from trusty old Sapphires lol.

16. djdozer

djdozer set 'im up...............

get yourself a urei 1601. Brilliant sound quality, simple and cheap! Only has 2 channels tho. The eqs take a bit of gettin used 2 cos they have total kills on them but other than that i cant fault it!

Oh yea and its £200 from htfr.com which is a deal considerin it used 2 sell for about 400!

17. DJHaze

DJHaze I've been naughty, I'm banned

18. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

I've got a Numark DXM09, and its a truely amazing mixer for the money! The Eqs are really well designed, the faders are smooth and precise, the FX are awesome when you get to grips with em. It has loads of headphone adjustment which you'll realise as you progress is so necessary! The build quality is fine imo, sturdy mixer.

As it happens i'm selling mine in a week or so, 6 months old, fully boxed and still under warrenty, £150 delivered.. So i can give you first dibs on it if you want? :)

19. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Actually fuck what i said b4 with the dxm09///

Numark X9 FTW!

20. Alexi

Alexi Drench Audio

In the end, although every1 said they wer crap, I got a DJX700 for £40, coz i'll only be using it a matter of months and then can sell it on for a bit of a profit.

Cheers for the help though, I'll keep it in mind and buy a decent mixer when I finally get the 1210s I've been waiting for