Mixer, Monitors and Finance

ZackMRG

Circles are Pointless
VIP Junglist
Couple questions on this one, figured I may as well keep it to one thread though,

I'm looking at retiring my old Numark DXM09, its three years old and really falling apart (one channel is knackered, the microphone channel has no treble and the overall sound quality is pretty poor) so Im looking at upgrading- thinking of going for an Allen and Heath xone 42 as I dont have the money for a 92, that being said I dont have the cash for the 42 either, so Im looking at getting it on finance from http://www.djfinancedirect.co.uk/, was wondering if anybody has gone for something on finance- is it worth it etc?

As for monitors, my DXM plays cued and currently playing tracks in stereo, but from what I've been told this isnt the same on the Xone 42, so Im gonna need some monitors but really havent got a clue what to look for (I've never owned a set in all the time I've been mixing), not looking to spend silly amounts of money on these though- say maybe £100-£150?

Any help, info, advice would be awesome!

Regarding monitors, my only advice is don't buy the Mackie MR8s. I have them and they sound great but they are very very prone to overheating

studio monitors seem a bit unnecessary. You don't really need the cleanest, truest sound when mixing, and you won't get a particularly prominent rib-tickling sub-bass out of them unless you turn them up stupid loud and stand in a corner.

but i don't really know what to recommend aside from monitors

Ahmed monitors are good for mixing, the crisper the sound the more faults you will notice. I know this from mixing on my hifi speakers and on my mates Yamaha hsm80's

Couple questions on this one, figured I may as well keep it to one thread though,

I'm looking at retiring my old Numark DXM09, its three years old and really falling apart (one channel is knackered, the microphone channel has no treble and the overall sound quality is pretty poor) so Im looking at upgrading- thinking of going for an Allen and Heath xone 42 as I dont have the money for a 92, that being said I dont have the cash for the 42 either, so Im looking at getting it on finance from http://www.djfinancedirect.co.uk/, was wondering if anybody has gone for something on finance- is it worth it etc?

As for monitors, my DXM plays cued and currently playing tracks in stereo, but from what I've been told this isnt the same on the Xone 42, so Im gonna need some monitors but really havent got a clue what to look for (I've never owned a set in all the time I've been mixing), not looking to spend silly amounts of money on these though- say maybe £100-£150?

My advice would be...

personally wouldnt use DJ finance. If you are going to pay that amount over however many months it works out pretty much the same price as you would buying one outright...save your pennies and the hassle, last thing you want is something coming out of your bank monthly and then for instance to lose your job...just a thought.

Honestly would recommend spending well with monitors. It's a huge thing getting the right monitors for the right room, right size etc.

I have been through a fair few & tried aload of different speakers over the years on different setups, I'm going to stick my neck on the line and say for price (& especially if you are in a small room) nearfield active monitors will do just fine. Rokit 5's would be my personal choice, they are just as powerful as 6' & are only a little bit smaller.

I've seen & heard those Yamaha's Dan is on about (although might not be exactly the same model) & they fucking kicked. Although they were pricey...

Recommend KRK's but if you have the cash, spend big.

Finance yourself new monitors and a 92 if i were you mate.

If your going finance then you might as well get the kit you really want. Otherwise you'll stiull be paying off the finance when you want to upgrade again.

Ive used djfinance direct myself and its awesome. Got serato sl4 and a xone 92 for approx £60 a month. Havent had a single problem. Even called em up and changed the date i pay to my payday so ive always got money to cover the payments.

I do obviously wish i'd bought it outright, but it wasnt a possibility so i used djfinance and havent looked back. Nice no fuss service. Fill out the online form, next day you get some forms, sign em, send em. 2 days later i had my kit.

Used DJ finance aswell here on a Xone 42. Lost my job half way through though and it absolutely fucked me and put me in a load of debt. Still seems worth it though as i'd never have the mixer to this day without doing it!

Used DJ finance aswell here on a Xone 42. Lost my job half way through though and it absolutely fucked me and put me in a load of debt. Still seems worth it though as i'd never have the mixer to this day without doing it!

Yeah, obviously your job security needs to come into the decision.

I waited til i had passed my 3 month probation at work before i did it.

But at the end of the day if you do lose your job or whatever and your finding it hard to meet the repayments then just sell the gear and use the money to pay it off. Simples.

personally wouldnt use DJ finance. If you are going to pay that amount over however many months it works out pretty much the same price as you would buying one outright...save your pennies and the hassle, last thing you want is something coming out of your bank monthly and then for instance to lose your job...just a thought.

Used DJ finance aswell here on a Xone 42. Lost my job half way through though and it absolutely fucked me and put me in a load of debt.

Hence why I have never signed up.
Even with being in a secure permanent job you just don't know what is around the corner. I was always taught to save my money and only spend what you have.

Hence why I have never signed up.
Even with being in a secure permanent job you just don't know what is around the corner. I was always taught to save my money and only spend what you have.

Thats all well and good, but i'd rather not live life in fear of "whats around the corner" and actually enjoy the money im earning =p.

Im clearly not as "gung-ho" as you Forau. :teeth:

In no way "gung-ho", just dont see the point in being scared to spend the money you worked hard to earn on stuff you enjoy.

Id think long and hard about getting a mortgage, a car on finance, etc, but financing some dj gear im not gonna worry too much about :/

Yeah lets be honest, if youre earning the money, £60 a month is fuck all really(in Forau's case). Might aswell put it towards something thats getting used every day rather than wasting it on a night out..

Finance yourself new monitors and a 92 if i were you mate.

If your going finance then you might as well get the kit you really want. Otherwise you'll stiull be paying off the finance when you want to upgrade again.

Ive used djfinance direct myself and its awesome. Got serato sl4 and a xone 92 for approx £60 a month. Havent had a single problem. Even called em up and changed the date i pay to my payday so ive always got money to cover the payments.

I do obviously wish i'd bought it outright, but it wasnt a possibility so i used djfinance and havent looked back. Nice no fuss service. Fill out the online form, next day you get some forms, sign em, send em. 2 days later i had my kit.

Ideally I'd do the same and pay outright, though saving up 'x' amount of money is going to take me a few months- and my mixer is fucked right now, owning three decks and a mixer which only has two channels is a right pisser.

What is honestly the massive jump between a 42 and a 92?- I've been lucky enough to use a 92 a few times before playing out and loved it, but having read a few reviews of the 42 online (admittedly random review websites) people have said its more of budget 92 with a few less bells and whistles.

I'm pretty lucky in the fact I manage a restaurant, so my job is always going to be pretty secure as long as I don''t rob the place or sexually harrass one of the waitresses, been there well over a year or so too so my probation period ended a long time ago n all.

Agent Smith said:
Recommend KRK's but if you have the cash, spend big.

I have had a quick look online at KRK's, with my budget I could afford one single monitor- but surely thats all I'd need? Haven't half realised in recent times how naive I still am with certain aspects with Djing....

Big up for the advice n ting people!

Ideally I'd do the same and pay outright, though saving up 'x' amount of money is going to take me a few months- and my mixer is fucked right now, owning three decks and a mixer which only has two channels is a right pisser.

What is honestly the massive jump between a 42 and a 92?- I've been lucky enough to use a 92 a few times before playing out and loved it, but having read a few reviews of the 42 online (admittedly random review websites) people have said its more of budget 92 with a few less bells and whistles.

I'm pretty lucky in the fact I manage a restaurant, so my job is always going to be pretty secure as long as I don''t rob the place or sexually harrass one of the waitresses, been there well over a year or so too so my probation period ended a long time ago n all.

I have had a quick look online at KRK's, with my budget I could afford one single monitor- but surely thats all I'd need? Haven't half realised in recent times how naive I still am with certain aspects with Djing....

Big up for the advice n ting people!

The way i see it when it comes to spending money on dj gear... Theres a whole lot more hobbies that are far more expensive. Since mixing is pretty much my only hobby, its relatively cheap.

If i were you, like i said, if your going to finance something, finance the things that you really want, otherwise you'll still be paying off your finance when youve sold the gear and are upgrading. Thats why i went for the 92 ;).

Started my application yesterday for a xone 92- it didn't take much convincing for me to just go for broke If I'm being honest lol.

Now I just need to find some myself some pretty decent monitors- looking forward to the next week or so tbh!

Back
Top Bottom