Mixer advice on £100 budget!

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by andrewt7941, Dec 1, 2012.

1. andrewt7941

andrewt7941 Member

I'm a beginner DJ and only have around £100 to spend on a mixer. I have a good amount of knowledge about djing so i dont want anything too basic and I wouldn't mind 2nd hand gear. Please give me some suggestions or let me know if you are selling any gear? Thanks. Andy.

2. fuuz3r

fuuz3r KRISTJAN V

one does not simply call himself andy in a dnb forum haha.

anyway you can't get a decent mixer for 100. you need to save some more. i'd recommend ecler or allen & heats mixers. how many channels do you need?

3. Tensor

Tensor Active Member

My mate got the numark m4 which is £90ish new and he has no complaints about it for the price. You might be able to get something better second hand for under £100 but I dunno.

4. andrewt7941

andrewt7941 Member

Yeah well I only need a 2 channel mixer. I don't think the numark ones are complex enough for what id like and yeah id love an allen and heath mixer its just the price of them are pretty extortionate and never heard of ecler, ill search it. By the way my real name is andy haha sorry if its not cool enough ;)

5. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

what sort of features are you after?

6. fuuz3r

fuuz3r KRISTJAN V

i personally wouldn't buy any numarks, behringers, stantons etc cause i want the best possible sound quality. high quality mixers price start from at least 250 beans. you could get a used pioneer djm 300 - one is for 112 + shipping on ebay. it was my first mixer, got it in 2007 and it was pretty okay - replaced it with ecler nuo 2 after a year or so and still have it. imo it looks a lot sexier, has better sound, better eq-s, better faders/knobs and has a 3rd channel too.

someone else can probably recommend something from these kind of mixers (numark, stanton) better than i.

7. thembones

thembones Member

Numark is fine for starting on, I had one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Numark-DX...pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Mixers&hash=item3f1f75ce92 when I started, gave it to a mate about 3 years ago and he's still using it.

new version looks a bit prettier
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Numark-DX...pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Mixers&hash=item460ab1a726

Mate had one of these for a while and was pretty decent, bought it for £80 I think in2008, probably hard to find one in decent condition now though.
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2005/02/06/numark-dxm09-3-channel-dj-mixer/

My advice would be to head to a few pawn shops / cash converters / second hand shops etc and see what the local smackheads have nicked and sold on as you will probably pick up something more than decent with a few toys for under £100

Stay away from the cheaper behringer from my experienced, especially second hand.
    Most Gemini I have had/been on have been shit too.

I found having something with less toys made me concentrate more on the basics but whatever mixer you choose the grass will always seem greener on the other side, and you will constantly want something better/more flash, especially when you have a go one of the big Allen & Heath beasts.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  8. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

The DXM05 is a great mixer. Built in FX. Really smooth faders. Quite nice responsive EQs. The EQ buttons are great for cutting and blending. If you can find one of these for under a ton, pick it up

9. andrewt7941

andrewt7941 Member

Its funny you should say
    I went to some shop rather like cash converters but smaller and there was a black behringer mixer in the middle, think it was a 700 for £100. It looked absoltely huge though haha, didnt realise the size of them. I'll try and have a look round but thing is i dont wonna buy numark for £80, use it for 2 months, sell it for £10, you know what I mean?
    Thanks again!

10. Dagz

Dagz Well-Known Member

Dont mess with Numark!

One of the best mixers i ever had was Numark and let me tell you the thing was unbreakable as well as really cheap and reliable.

11. andrewt7941

andrewt7941 Member

Ok well i might end up having to go for numark until i save up for something better. If anyone is selling a good mixer or sees any good offers online etc. Please let me know. :) Also I just found a pair of technic 1210's on a pawnbroking website for £275

12. Dagz

Dagz Well-Known Member

On a serious note its never an easy thing to choose a new mixer if you are not familar with brands and features. I remember when i first walked in my local dj store many years ago without a clue and bought the one the sales assistant recommended to me. It was ok but not long after i found myself upgrading and upgrading till you get to a stage where you are happy with what you have. The fun thing was tho starting from the bottom and working my way up it would of been no fun at all starting off with the best like i said ive had some great fun on some of the cheaper selection.

My advice to you is go to a store and have a feel for some of the mixers see what does what and whats best for value wise and what fits your needs weather it be 3 channels kill switches etc. I personally dont buy second hand mixers if its been owned by a dj you can bet your life hes mixed the hell out of it haha If you buy a second hand one just be carefull.

13. fractal

fractal Well-Known Member

i got a vestax vmc004xl 2nd hand for a bit less than a tonne, lasted really nice had no complaints with it, did eventually upgrade to a xone 62 though

14. rj_dnb

rj_dnb Well-Known Member

I used to have a Gemini ps-626. Wicked little thing. Couple of FX, 3 channels, lasted me till I got my DJM. Worth looking into. Still got it somewhere, PM me if you're interested