Mixdown tips on new neuro track

scrTchs

OPTION_DNB
Hey guys, I've been working on this track lately and I wanted to see if someone would give me some tips on how I can make the mix and overall arrangement sound better. I know the mix can be a lot cleaner. Did I go too crazy with the cymbals? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Whoops I thought I posted this in the new talent and track reviews section. Can someone tell me how to fix that?

i clicked randomely at different times of the song and they all sounded the same...so you dont really need 5 minutes long of the same thing...maybe focus on making it 2 or 3 minutes longs and see if you can make it have 3 sections...intro, breakdown and outro

Yeah it needs variation; the composition is too monotonous and the whole track seems to kinda sit in one space and not explore around. There also seems like there's a resonance peak when...I think what sounds like a wind pipe....goes onto its third note in its loop. It might be slightly too saturated on that note as well.

There are some really neat ideas in there though; I like the interplay with the bells and the bassline sounds solid. It gives a sort of demented childhood horror feel to it.

just had a quick listen, the one thing that stands out most to me is a clash between your mid-bass sounds and your square-type pad-synth, check the Freqz around (roughly) 200, 300 and 400hz, give your mid-bass plenty of room - once you have tweeked that, i recon you will be able to pull allot of the sounds back into the mix and let the other sounds shine

there are lots of ways to deal with those freqz, surgical EQ might work, but its worth trying a gentler wide band first, also pull back any compression you have on the pads and master to let things breath a bit more, another option is to side chain the pads with the mid-bass, this can work quite well, but given that there is an inbalance in those freq ranges, i suspect that EQ is the way to go, so that you can then start turning things down in the rest of the mix to get it all nice and tight

(yep turn things down, rather than up...by far the most useful tip for any mixdown :) )

cant give you much more detail than that coz I've only got a few mins free; hope it helps

and see if you can make it have 3 sections...intro, breakdown and outro
intro, build-up/drop, verse, chorus, breakdown, build-up/drop, verse, chorus, outro. Classic structure for dnb (or any other electronic genre, really).
But remember that rules are there to be broken. so why not put a chorus before a verse before a build-up/drop, before a new verse?

Thanks for the tips guys!!! I seriously didn't get any notifications that anyone commented back on this thread til today.

I lost the original files to this track somewhere along switching to my new laptop but I will take every bit of this advice into my future productions!

Back
Top Bottom