Mixdown technique/formula

kernowdnb

Yo guys,

Do any of you have a particular set of rules that you follow when mixing down tunes?

With your main bus groups (drums, bass etc). Do any of you have a set level (in db) that they always peak at?

Also I remember reading somewhere that if you mute/solo you bass bus, there should always be a 4db fluctuation on the master output. What are people's thoughts on this?

Cheers

i start mixing down with all my faders at -15 to leave headroom, usually end around -4 or -6 (master bus output) before i master.
other than that, nope. ears and [very rarely for me] reference tracks n test your tune everywhere against other tunes.

edit: this reads weird, what i mean is i don't use reference tracks as i mix cuz it just doesn't work well for me, but i do compare my track to other tunes on multiple systems as part of my "testing" process

Last edited:
i have read in some places that this can occasionally cause weird resonant peaks depending on your EQ, though don't really know if is true or naw.. thoughts?

It's true because EQing affects phase. If you have say, 2 bass layers perfectly in phase like straight outta synth and you highpass another one, they are not 100% in phase anymore. It's the same reason why highpassing your kick can make the level go up even when you're actually removing frequencies.

Linear-phase EQs mostly fix this but cause pre-ringing.

It's true because EQing affects phase. If you have say, 2 bass layers perfectly in phase like straight outta synth and you highpass another one, they are not 100% in phase anymore. It's the same reason why highpassing your kick can make the level go up even when you're actually removing frequencies.

Linear-phase EQs mostly fix this but cause pre-ringing.
Just googled my way to some examples on a different forum, i've learned something today. thank you sir!

Back
Top Bottom