Mix down help!

thin king

Hey I've made this tune http://soundcloud.com/thin-king/dead-space-wip1 that sounds sonically perfect in my studio but now I've uploaded it to soundcloud it sounds awful and lacking in beef - I haven't done anything different to my other productions (one of which is now signed so I know what I'm doing - or so i thought!!) apart from this tune is a bit darker and has a bigger bass line than I'd usually go for, its not clipping or anything like that so I don't understand why its lacking so much now I've bounced it down to mp3 (its a 320 by the way) please help I'm proper confused!!

yeah I know but thats just probably cos of the bassline (its pretty big)- I normalised it individually - do you think that may have an effect?? still I don't get how it can sound fine at home on my AKG's if something is that majorly wrong with it?? is it just a bin job and move on???

far from a bin job, its a pretty sweet tune brah, i love amen and apache combo and the alarm is a cool theme.

on the downside it didnt really grab me, musically i like more subtlety.

Tuned in. I have AKG headgear also so dont tak my word for it. Just so u know, never do a mixdown only in headphones, that's where the big bass might come from. And if you must, take a break every hour, at least 10 minutes break and 50 minutes producing. Ears get tired really quick on headphones.

But i do think that the bass is a bit loud compared to other lowend elements like the kick of your breaks for example. I'd turn down the bass a bit and either eq boost the kick on the breaks or layer another kick in there to make up the balance. Other than that a nice tune.

This might be personal preference, but I'd lay off the bass for a bit too, as in have little gaps in the bassline itself, not as breakdowns or such. It gives it much more power. You don't know what youre missing until you've lost it, kind of.

Last edited:
cheer for the feedback fellas - I don't just use my AKG's I have M1 Mk2 monitors too plus I always have an analyser on the master for checking - hence I'm majorly stumped as it looks like a good spread!! Just wondered what you thought of the normalise thing I did too (mentioned above??)

cheer for the feedback fellas - I don't just use my AKG's I have M1 Mk2 monitors too plus I always have an analyser on the master for checking - hence I'm majorly stumped as it looks like a good spread!! Just wondered what you thought of the normalise thing I did too (mentioned above??)

Using a scope for checking signals is just fine but dont rely on it to tell you if something sounds good. Use it when your ears tell you there might be something wrong, for example you think there is a low rumble in a break. You cant see sound just as you cant eat architecture for example. Go for what things sound like, not what they look like.

This might be personal preference, but I'd lay off the bass for a bit too, as in have little gaps in the bassline itself, not as breakdowns or such. It gives it much more power. You don't know what youre missing until you've lost it, kind of.

Pure knowledge. Respect!

The absence of a sound or vocal you're longing for is epic when you know it's only a matter of time before it comes back.

if you normalised it too 0db then when it's mixed back in it needs to be turned down. what normalising does is take the loudest peak and put it to the selected level, usually 0db. it has a simmilar effect to turning the track up. im not at the studio so cant really give any specific feedback.

sound

Back
Top Bottom