mix cds - help me out

klusta

Pulsar
VIP Junglist
right my last mix has done 1 and a bit reels of blanks, thats over 100 copies! These have either been sent out or given away. Now its pretty time comsuming burning them one by one and its slowly raping my pocket.

I was considering getting the next one done by the 100's, get some artwork/labels done and selling a few to cover my costs and promote myself. They'd be low priced like the Moving Shadow ones. I wondered if you knowledgable lot might know a bit more about it...

Wot are the copyright laws? Are the labels gonna be pissed because I'm promoting their whites or are they gonna be after some kind of cut? Is there a minimum number if copies I can get away with?

I would ask all the labels permission.

Last but not least is it a good idea or am i biting off more than i can chew?

cheers

klusta said:
right my last mix has done 1 and a bit reels of blanks, thats over 100 copies! These have either been sent out or given away. Now its pretty time comsuming burning them one by one and its slowly raping my pocket.

I was considering getting the next one done by the 100's, get some artwork/labels done and selling a few to cover my costs and promote myself. They'd be low priced like the Moving Shadow ones. I wondered if you knowledgable lot might know a bit more about it...

Wot are the copyright laws? Are the labels gonna be pissed because I'm promoting their whites or are they gonna be after some kind of cut? Is there a minimum number if copies I can get away with?

I would ask all the labels permission.

Last but not least is it a good idea or am i biting off more than i can chew?

cheers
Good questions! I'd be interested in checking the answers to this one.

Mackie from Alpha has good knowledge on this sorta stuff.. I'll ask him tonight if he hasn't seen this before then.

i think it's like, if you sell them you need permission, but if you give them away (it's like giving them to your mates and you're allowed to do that) i'm working on getting copyright shit sorted for one of my mixes :dynamite:

nu tones response

as soon as you sell them you are breaking the law...if you put 'for promotional use only - not for resale' on the cd's and give them away, you're safe however.

If you want to sell them, you will have to obtain licenses from the respective labels, which usually involves an upfront payment. Its an expensive business and a lot of work.

I'd keep it simple if i were you.

oh, i should have added that once you've secured the licence and made the advance payment, you then have to give the labels a pro rata cut of the profits from the cd (once you've recouped the advance payments)...

it all sounds a bit over the top for a little mix cd, but its actually where a lot of labels and artists make a substantial amount of their income

damn, didn't know you had to go through that much trouble for a mix cd. crazyness. :rinsed:

Ab0|2Ti0N
damn, didn't know you had to go through that much trouble for a mix cd. crazyness.

True Dat!! True Dat! At the end of the day its about promotion imo, but i totally see why labels an artists do it.

Gotta respect the artists an labels wishes ;)

klusta said:
how do u go about this? where do i start (apart form doing a mix that is, lol)? go to the labels I suppose? *shrugs*

im emailing the labels, so far the 3 of labels i emailed are safe and say i can use the songs

Back
Top Bottom