mix cds - help me out

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by klusta, Jan 2, 2004.

1. klusta

klusta Pulsar

right my last mix has done 1 and a bit reels of blanks, thats over 100 copies! These have either been sent out or given away. Now its pretty time comsuming burning them one by one and its slowly raping my pocket.

I was considering getting the next one done by the 100's, get some artwork/labels done and selling a few to cover my costs and promote myself. They'd be low priced like the Moving Shadow ones. I wondered if you knowledgable lot might know a bit more about it...

Wot are the copyright laws? Are the labels gonna be pissed because I'm promoting their whites or are they gonna be after some kind of cut? Is there a minimum number if copies I can get away with?

I would ask all the labels permission.

Last but not least is it a good idea or am i biting off more than i can chew?

cheers

2. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Good questions! I'd be interested in checking the answers to this one.

Mackie from Alpha has good knowledge on this sorta stuff.. I'll ask him tonight if he hasn't seen this before then.

3. Cube

Cube www.exegene.com

i think it's like, if you sell them you need permission, but if you give them away (it's like giving them to your mates and you're allowed to do that) i'm working on getting copyright shit sorted for one of my mixes :dynamite:

4. klusta

klusta Pulsar

how do u go about this? where do i start (apart form doing a mix that is, lol)? go to the labels I suppose? *shrugs*

5. klusta

klusta Pulsar

nu tones response

6. Ab0|2Ti0N

Ab0|2Ti0N WHAT THE FUCK IS JUICE???

damn, didn't know you had to go through that much trouble for a mix cd. crazyness. :rinsed:

7. whoodidklaww

whoodidklaww Member

True Dat!! True Dat! At the end of the day its about promotion imo, but i totally see why labels an artists do it.

Gotta respect the artists an labels wishes ;)

8. Cube

Cube www.exegene.com

im emailing the labels, so far the 3 of labels i emailed are safe and say i can use the songs