SOUNDCLOUD PREVIEW:

MIXCLOUD:
[MIXCLOUD]http://www.mixcloud.com/kristjanv001/mix-8/[/MIXCLOUD]

DOWNLOAD from Dnbshare:
http://dnbshare.com/download/KRISTJAN_V_-_MIX_8_2013.mp3.html

DOWNLOAD from Mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n1r88speus54cf9/KRISTJAN_V_-_MIX_8_(2013).mp3

Last edited:
On my list of listening for this week Fuuz3r - glad to see some people still repping the 100% vinyl tag.

Have done that arrows > gravitron mix myself and looking forward to hearing how you've pulled off some of these blends.

Looks deep!
Always loved synthesis! Proper sci fi vibes
thanx for commeting man. synthesis is probably my favorite off the blazin' compilation. :)

On my list of listening for this week Fuuz3r - glad to see some people still repping the 100% vinyl tag.

Have done that arrows > gravitron mix myself and looking forward to hearing how you've pulled off some of these blends.

got that idea from you i think - one has to try to make his mix stand out from the rest i guess ;) also, yeah i figured that the arrows + gravitron mix is a no brainer really. same goes for behind times + arrows.

Last edited:
Sweet tracklist from the outset.

Nice intro with Feeder, but had to wait till the second half of that tune before All That We Are came in. Would have preferred it to come in half way through the first half of Feeder. The funky step in Dust Ball worked a treat with the steppy reverberating Uproot. Seamless ease in of The Cut Deepens whole intro out of Uproot. Would have like to hear how the step of that went with Uproot, but hey ho. The mr Perez double was very choice. Arrows brought some more funk Behind Time. The whipping intricate drums in Gravitron sat very well with the funky Arrows, then when Mosquito came in.... man that tore into Gravitron! Fav mix so far :) maybe would have cut the ticking wind down in Gravitron out as it can take away the energy of the mix sometimes.

Reaction - Floating Zero rolled together extremely well for a peach of a mix and elements of both tunes bouncing off each other made for a wicked mix. 2nd fav mix :) President - Happy 5 went in well as mentioned previously. Thought Happy 5 had left the ride when Akina started to ease in & loved the fact that it was kept in for that double drop. Wicked mix that trump the other 2 favourite bits I had pointed out :) really like Akina & with the second half of Happy 5 that was quality. Had to wait a fair while for Locked to enter the mix, but did really like that the vocals in Akina had dropped out by that point & just kept the energetic jukey drums in for the mix (tbh never really play Akina to that point) and sounded really nice.

Says the tune after Break & Enter is Hell Rose man, not Back & Forth. The more laid back flavours of Hell Rose set up Underprint to bring its synthy bounce in really well, plus the soft vocals of the former tune sitting nicely with the Perez Noisia colab. Not heard Facelift before and that sounded wicked in there. Also very pleasing to be reminded of what Soundtape was.

Got to say that 25 tunes in 80 mins is a little in the low side. Try aiming for 29 / 30 without substituting quality for quantity. Also not too keen on hearing tunes by the same artist side by side in the mix unless its a 'history of Icicle' mix or something. I mean, you know they are going to sound good together as they were made by or have the same influences from that artist. Like the Alix Perez, Dub Phizix & Subtention sections in there, but thats just my personal preference man. Mix it up a little more maybe. There was a small clang in there, but was sorted out very quickly. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Some wicked blends in there and a fair amount of variety while keeping it on a deep / funky / steppy vibe. Looking forward to mix 9!

Sweet tracklist from the outset.

Nice intro with Feeder, but had to wait till the second half of that tune before All That We Are came in. Would have preferred it to come in half way through the first half of Feeder.
yeah i know and of course i thought about that + double drops and whatnot, but i wanted to be less predictable and start slow and then gradually build up to a bit faster transitions. the negative side of this kind of start is of course that it doesn't grab the listeners attention as well.

The funky step in Dust Ball worked a treat with the steppy reverberating Uproot. Seamless ease in of The Cut Deepens whole intro out of Uproot. Would have like to hear how the step of that went with Uproot, but hey ho.
uproot and cut deepens actually worked quite well when beatmatched...dunno why i did it this way actually

The mr Perez double was very choice. Arrows brought some more funk Behind Time. The whipping intricate drums in Gravitron sat very well with the funky Arrows, then when Mosquito came in.... man that tore into Gravitron! Fav mix so far :) maybe would have cut the ticking wind down in Gravitron out as it can take away the energy of the mix sometimes.

thanks man! i like this section myself as well - pleased with it myself too. also, nice advice on that gravitron thing.

Reaction - Floating Zero rolled together extremely well for a peach of a mix and elements of both tunes bouncing off each other made for a wicked mix. 2nd fav mix :)
yes yes, these fit together almost perfectly in my opinion. as soon as i tried floating zero with reaction, i had absolutely no second thoughts.

President - Happy 5 went in well as mentioned previously.
where? not in this thread at least :)

Thought Happy 5 had left the ride when Akina started to ease in & loved the fact that it was kept in for that double drop. Wicked mix that trump the other 2 favourite bits I had pointed out :) really like Akina & with the second half of Happy 5 that was quality. Had to wait a fair while for Locked to enter the mix, but did really like that the vocals in Akina had dropped out by that point & just kept the energetic jukey drums in for the mix (tbh never really play Akina to that point) and sounded really nice.

funny thing is, i bought that 10" because of ginseng smash, but now i like akina a lot more hehe. imo that happy 5 + akina double isn't anything spectacular on its own, but happy 5 gave a little boost or more power to akina. also, cool that you noticed that they were doubled -...cause there isn't much going on on happy 5's second part :)

Says the tune after Break & Enter is Hell Rose man, not Back & Forth. The more laid back flavours of Hell Rose set up Underprint to bring its synthy bounce in really well, plus the soft vocals of the former tune sitting nicely with the Perez Noisia colab. Not heard Facelift before and that sounded wicked in there. Also very pleasing to be reminded of what Soundtape was.

i thought something's wrong, cause hell rose is a much better name for that track... reason i put back & forth is because the side where the tune is pressed has a letter "A" on it's runout groove and should apply to the letter "C" that's on the label - which says back and forth. so at leats my copy has the letters "A" and "B" mixed up. will fix the tracklist, thanx for pointing out - all the youtube clips also have it the way you said it.

also, i wanted to cue facelift in as soon as underprint went into breakdown, but i missed the cuepoint - dunno wtf i was messing arounf there, looking around. if i had cued facelift earlier and so it would've also dropped earlier, it would've been a bit more powerful mix, but thought its decent this way as well...and didn't want to throw the mix away just because of that.

stole this idea to throw in a odd full cycle records tune, after watching a youtube clip where icicle played jitta bug in shoguns boat party :D why not.

Got to say that 25 tunes in 80 mins is a little in the low side. Try aiming for 29 / 30 without substituting quality for quantity. Also not too keen on hearing tunes by the same artist side by side in the mix unless its a 'history of Icicle' mix or something. I mean, you know they are going to sound good together as they were made by or have the same influences from that artist. Like the Alix Perez, Dub Phizix & Subtention sections in there, but thats just my personal preference man. Mix it up a little more maybe. There was a small clang in there, but was sorted out very quickly. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Some wicked blends in there and a fair amount of variety while keeping it on a deep / funky / steppy vibe. Looking forward to mix 9!

i agree with you that 25 tunes in 80 is really slow actually. the start and end sections stole a lot of minutes - but this is the way i wanted this particular mix to be - start slow, rise the tempo in the middle and end slow.

don't really agree with you on the not using a tracks by the same artist to mix each others out - i don't really see a problem in this - only if used too much, which in my case may just apply hehe :D thing is, if i can't find a better tune, i'll use a tune by the same artist if it goes well, rather than force in some tune by different artist, that doesn't fit that well. you know what i mean?

thank you for this in depth review, really appreciate it!

mix 9 is coming soon - tracklist is almost finished - couple of tweaks here and there and finito. would like to record it in a months time or so. also 9 is more hectic and has some neurofunk as well older hardware stuff included

where? not in this thread at least :)

My bad. Wrote the review & had the end paragraph at the start, then shuffled it about

don't really agree with you on the not using a tracks by the same artist to mix each others out - i don't really see a problem in this - only if used too much, which in my case may just apply hehe :D thing is, if i can't find a better tune, i'll use a tune by the same artist if it goes well, rather than force in some tune by different artist, that doesn't fit that well. you know what i mean?

Its not a problem, just personal preference. Hazard & Skeptical ect do it. I'm not knocking it, just don't really like doing it myself.

I know what you mean. Sometimes it takes ages to find something that fits another tune, but I'd rather take the time to find those tunes than something by the same artist, but again, thats personal preference.

thank you for this in depth review, really appreciate it!

mix 9 is coming soon - tracklist is almost finished - couple of tweaks here and there and finito. would like to record it in a months time or so. also 9 is more hectic and has some neurofunk as well older hardware stuff included

No worries man! Look forward to it :)

Last edited:
heavy mix man, gave this a few listens to on the weekend and thought it was banging, my type of drum and bass, loved the selection and the mixing, happy 5 into akina had to be my favourite part to mix, big up mate

heavy mix man, gave this a few listens to on the weekend and thought it was banging, my type of drum and bass, loved the selection and the mixing, happy 5 into akina had to be my favourite part to mix, big up mate

thanx man. a lot!!!

Haven't got a lot of time to do a massive feedback but will leave some thoughts.

Digged this man. Some cool tunes new and old.

Fav parts
6. ALIX PEREZ – BEHIND TIMES
7. ICICLE – ARROWS
8. HYBRIS – GRAVITRON
9. ENEI – MOSQUITO

&

13. DUB PHIZIX – PRESIDENT
14. DUB PHIZIX – HAPPY 5
15. STRAY – AKINA

Haven't got much of a critique on this tbh. I appreciate that on vinyl you may not get everything 100% perfect (especially when recording) so hearing a small clang doesn't bother me too much - Listened to loads of vinyl mixes and always hear clangs, used to see DJ's mixing out on vinyl and they clang too! It happens, but it is quite refreshing to not hear something so clean...it sounds like someone is actually at the controls for once, unlike some people on digital.

I agree with Mr Watcha on the pace of the mixing I do personally prefer something a bit quicker, but then on the flipside I like someone rolling out a tune sometimes...Teddy used to do this really well in his previous mixes utilising the best bits of tunes most people would even get near to.

Keep doing what your doing lad. this was swish.

Will have a vinyl mix up soon - hope you can check it out (y)

completely forgot to feedback about this, listened a few times and have to say: big mix as usual, quality selection and nice mixing. doesn't always have to be doubledrop after doubledrop, sometimes it's nice to let stuff roll out for longer.. that way you know if the listener is only interested in fast and swift mixing or loves the music

so yeah, big ups (y)

Haven't got a lot of time to do a massive feedback but will leave some thoughts.

Digged this man. Some cool tunes new and old.

Fav parts
6. ALIX PEREZ – BEHIND TIMES
7. ICICLE – ARROWS
8. HYBRIS – GRAVITRON
9. ENEI – MOSQUITO

&

13. DUB PHIZIX – PRESIDENT
14. DUB PHIZIX – HAPPY 5
15. STRAY – AKINA

Haven't got much of a critique on this tbh. I appreciate that on vinyl you may not get everything 100% perfect (especially when recording) so hearing a small clang doesn't bother me too much - Listened to loads of vinyl mixes and always hear clangs, used to see DJ's mixing out on vinyl and they clang too! It happens, but it is quite refreshing to not hear something so clean...it sounds like someone is actually at the controls for once, unlike some people on digital.

I agree with Mr Watcha on the pace of the mixing I do personally prefer something a bit quicker, but then on the flipside I like someone rolling out a tune sometimes...Teddy used to do this really well in his previous mixes utilising the best bits of tunes most people would even get near to.

Keep doing what your doing lad. this was swish.

Will have a vinyl mix up soon - hope you can check it out (y)

whoa, thnks stu! tbh i could've done better on the technical side, i know it haha - will pull myself together :teeth: but yeah, i want to try different mixing styles - as one of my fears in mixing is that my mixes are going to sound the same - as wingz said - doubles after doubles mixes get boring. also, some tunes have great breakdowns and i just have to play them.

will keep doing what i'm doing - nice one mate! ;)

and yes, will check your mix out for sure- if i miss it somehow, then definitely drop me a pm or something.

- - - Updated - - -

completely forgot to feedback about this, listened a few times and have to say: big mix as usual, quality selection and nice mixing. doesn't always have to be doubledrop after doubledrop, sometimes it's nice to let stuff roll out for longer.. that way you know if the listener is only interested in fast and swift mixing or loves the music

so yeah, big ups (y)

yes yeys - appreciate taking time to listen to this bro. :)

also, i actually wasn't paying much attention to uproot before you shared it on fb - strong tune indeed! so if you wouldn't had posted it, i probably wouldn't had used it - keep up posting good stuff on fb ;)

Back
Top Bottom