Misanthrop - Misanthrop (Neosignal)

rythmatix

VIP Junglist
I think funk and minimalinski up there are pretty cool, the rest pretty much instantly forgettable for me personally. Think it's a shame because Misanthrop (and Phace for that matter) have really great musical ideas but they've been burying them under walls of noise lately. Fucking love everything that's a bit more stripped back though (Deadlock, Y, Garbage Truck remix). Maybe I'm just too old for this shit

I kinda hope the guys who make this sort of music step back from dnb and use the bank of sounds they've made, along with their obviously great technical skills, to reinvent another genre.
Also just thinking how cool it may be if Misanthrop produced something like Ivy Lab's 20/20 stuff, most of which I'm a fan of

I was expecting the worst tbh, but have been presently surprised by some of the clips so far. Misanthrop & Phace are heroes to me so it's been truly sad to see Phace go by the wayside, but I haven't written him off quite yet. "Malfuncton" is fucken sick!!!! Nice to hear some more experimental stuff on there too. I'd like to think these clips are the weaker tracks off the album too, so hopefully the best is yet to come. I was honestly ready to pronounce Neurofunk officially dead this year, but this album, the new Dauntless tunes, the Nickbee tunes are showing that there is some light at the end of the tunnel....

I don't quite understand how a guy who posts a Sinthetix tribute mix goes on to make a whole album full of tunes that sound like that, but if that's what he likes now then fair enough I guess. To me, this sounds about as far away from the futuristic slick rolling tech of Sinthetix etc from the good old days as you can get.

I was expecting the worst tbh, but have been presently surprised by some of the clips so far. Misanthrop & Phace are heroes to me so it's been truly sad to see Phace go by the wayside, but I haven't written him off quite yet. "Malfuncton" is fucken sick!!!! Nice to hear some more experimental stuff on there too. I'd like to think these clips are the weaker tracks off the album too, so hopefully the best is yet to come. I was honestly ready to pronounce Neurofunk officially dead this year, but this album, the new Dauntless tunes, the Nickbee tunes are showing that there is some light at the end of the tunnel....
Nice to hear you rate them too! I was more than pleasantly surprised (clearly enough to start a thread haha). The harder-edged sound has been getting pretty monotonous and boring for me lately, but there is something here to see that it can still be done well

Yeah can't say I rate what I've heard so far... can't hear much in the way of 'groove' @rythmatix sorry! Funk and Minimalinski are fairly unique but not great and the rest is the usual could-be-made-by-anyone crap.

If Phace and Misanthrop made 'From Deep Space' again, switched up a few samples and changed the track names, fuck I'd be pretty happy with that.

Don't fancy any of those, they sound like everything else... even those ones which are different don't really do much for me. Will pass on this.

I can't deny these are extremely well made, but what happened to the neuro scene? I probably shouldnt comment here because ive never been a fan of Misanthrop, but I know Phace used to make quality tunes. And the keywords here are used to.
Its the same with Noisia, wtf happened? I used to own Pscyho on CD and it was one of the best album's I had, every track was sinister, aggressive, punchy and most importantly, memorable.
These tunes are just well made walls of noise, they lack atmosphere completely and seem to be made purely so 18 year old kids can mosh about and shout about how 'fuckin filthy' they are. Drum & bass' neuro scene has turned into dubstep's brostep, its embarrassing.

And here's how they used to make em

Nice to hear you rate them too! I was more than pleasantly surprised (clearly enough to start a thread haha). The harder-edged sound has been getting pretty monotonous and boring for me lately, but there is something here to see that it can still be done well

Yeah bro! I think because of the recent monotony of the sub-genre it's become far too easy to hate on this style. Fair to say we're all guilty of making a snap judgement due to there being that such a small percentage which is actually any good. So enjoying this sub-genre has actually become almost too hard, & a lot of us have just given up.

Threads just like this are common these days as you know, someone posts a "neurofunk" tune/s, & people like myself instantly start moaning about how it used to be & what's been lost from this sound. These comments on forums like this may sound like an individual's opinion but it's defiantly resonating throughout the scene. I think we're slowly & finally seeing an improvement, with more & more artists speaking up & working towards taking the sound back to how it should be. These releases are just starting to trickle though now to us punters now, classic example is the new Dauntless EP coming on Dispatch. So fingers crossed it keeps on going.

I don't know if this Misanthrop album is going to bring back faith for myself or many others, but it's definitely a step in the right direction, albeit not as large a step as many of us would like.

One final note to add to what Sicx has talked about above, is that the main reason this new tech stuff does not grab me at all is it's all stuttery and staccato. Make it roll!

Reading this thread has given me hope that I'm not the only one that feels the same way about neuro.

A few of my Dj friends that were into the sound have gone on to other genres or given up.

I'm lucky I got into the bass/tech house thing few years back so have that to keep me occupied, and my whole dnb back catalogue of course!

But yeah, new stuff, can go a few weeks and find nothing other than triple beat dubstep style stuff which is cringeworthy!

Lets hope things change for the better ASAP

Back
Top Bottom